Logic Resolution rule application

In summary, the conversation is about a question that seems solvable but the answer given is that it cannot be solved. The person is asking for an explanation and thinks there may be a mistake in the answer. Another person suggests there might be a typo in the answer. The person asking for help mentions that the lecturer gave the same solution, hence the confusion.
gl0ck

Homework Statement

Hi, there
there is one question, which I find it to be solvable, but the answer is that it cannot be solved.
Can someone explain me the answer given. I think there is a mistake on the underlined row, which leads to wrong answer.
I am not sure, so if someone can help me I will be very grateful!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 344
Physics news on Phys.org
i don't know this topic. But tracing back the pattern there seems an inconsequential typo, where that -d should be c. If you believe otherwise, please point out your reasoning and I'll take a closer look. :wink:

Thank you for the reply, that was the same thing I noticed, and this is the solution given by the lecturer, that is why I am asking.

1. What is the Logic Resolution rule?

The Logic Resolution rule is a fundamental principle in logic that allows for the deduction of new information from existing propositions or statements.

2. How does the Logic Resolution rule work?

The Logic Resolution rule works by comparing two statements and identifying a common term or variable, known as the "resolvent". The resolvent is then used to create a new statement that is logically valid based on the original statements.

3. What is the purpose of using the Logic Resolution rule?

The purpose of using the Logic Resolution rule is to simplify complex logical statements and to derive new conclusions from existing information. This is especially useful in automated reasoning systems and artificial intelligence.

4. Are there any limitations to the Logic Resolution rule?

Yes, there are limitations to the Logic Resolution rule. It can only be applied to propositional logic and cannot be used for statements that involve negation or quantifiers. Additionally, it may not always produce a valid conclusion or the most optimal solution.

5. Can the Logic Resolution rule be applied to any logical problem?

No, the Logic Resolution rule is specifically designed for propositional logic and cannot be applied to other forms of logic, such as first-order or modal logic. It is also important to note that the rule must be applied correctly and may not always lead to a valid solution.