Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logical partitions for an external disk

Tags:
  1. Feb 2, 2018 #1
    Hello. Is it possible to create logical partitions for an external storage such as an SD Card? When I take a back up, I format the disk instead of deleting the old data because deletion takes too much time compared to formatting. Then I do a copy-and-paste new data to the disk evacuated from old data. If I have logical parts on the disk I could just format that parts so I can take better and faster backups.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2018 #2

phinds

Gold Member

4. Feb 3, 2018 #3

rbelli1

Gold Member

You could also use a backup program. Then you only have to transfer the changed data.

BoB

5. Feb 8, 2018 #4
    Would you please check and explain what is wrong?

partition wizard.png

I cannot see J even though it has been formatted.
    drives.png

I can only see F. What configurations should I choose to make disk divided into partitions?

Thank you.

6. Feb 18, 2018 #5
    What is wrong I am doing to create a partition? When I try I take this notification

part mag.png

I searched for that notification but I didn't find a good explanation for my case.

Thank you.

7. Feb 18, 2018 #6

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

It seems clear. It says the a Windows limitation prevents the recognition of multiple partitions in a removable disk. Is this related to your other posts about making backups of an SD card?
    The reason I ask is that I have horror stories about home-grown backup procedures failing. Simple is better and your approach is getting complicated. Using professional backup tools is always recommended.

8. Feb 18, 2018 #7
    Does this mean there is no way to do such a thing? I watch a video doing this I will add.

Yes, all posts under this thread are related to each other. What do you mean by home-grown backup procedures? Do you mean amateurishly invented backup methods? I will ask about backup procedures in another thread. Here let's discuss about partitions.

In this video it is being done.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2018
  9. Feb 18, 2018 #8

rbelli1

Gold Member

We all understand you want to talk about partitions here but you are asking about using them for some sort of DIY backup scheme. We don't want to encourage you to do something that is illogical.

That said Windows does not support the thing you want to do. Kludging together a system level thing that the OS doesn't really want to do is asking for trouble. Even if you get it to work it may fail catastrophically after some future system update.

BoB

10. Feb 18, 2018 #9

phinds

Gold Member

Yeah. What he said.

11. Feb 18, 2018 #10

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Actually I misrepresented the situation. We had a very professional system administration group. Unfortunately, the computers that we used were very specialized and the current operating systems like Unix and Windows with backup utilities were not available then. Even with professional programmers, there were some very serious errors in the backup processes they used. If you create your own process, my advice is to test it thoroughly and don't allow any hardware or OS changes without thoroughly testing it first.

That being said, if you keep full copies occasionally and will not suffer terribly if all changes except the last full copy are lost, then feel free to do your own thing. Just make sure that your full copy process is simple and foolproof. Backups are a subject where errors can cause a lot of grief, depending on the situation.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  12. Feb 19, 2018 #11
    Did you watch the vid I added? How can people do this with that program, not taking that notification: The new created partition does not used in Windows ...?

Windows have a in-built tool to create partitions in internal hard drive. So if the special program cannot do this for extrernal ones, isn't it a little tomfoolery to develop and release such programs?

Thank you.

13. Feb 19, 2018 #12

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

Why would anyone want to help someone who a) consistently ignores our advice, and b) gets snotty when things don't go his way when the advice is ignored? The thing that is standing in your way more than any other is your attitude. If you change it, things will go better. If you keep doing what you're doing, you will have similar results to what you are having now. Up to you.

This is important.

14. Feb 19, 2018 #13

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Your intellectual curiosity is a good thing. But please be cautious. Your original goal was to improve the security of your data. This seems to be getting into some dangerous areas that may not improve the security of your data. So experiment in ways that do not jeopardize your data.

PS. I don't know if you have ever experienced the feeling that you may have just wiped out half a year of work. I have experienced it more times than I want to admit. At that point in time, the backups either make your day or ruin your day. Please be careful.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  15. Feb 19, 2018 #14

rbelli1

Gold Member

Yes. The person that made the video is using a specific set of hardware and OS version. You are using a different set of hardware and OS version.

The third party software may or may not work as well for you as it did him. If this was just for general use I would say go for it. For backup it is a really bad idea.

BoB

16. Mar 13, 2018 #15

Svein

Science Advisor

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted