Long string wrapped around cylinder. Find cylinders angular speed?

In summary: Average velocity would be x/s or something like that.No, you want instantaneous velocity, not average velocity.
kerbyjonsonjr

Homework Statement

A long string is wrapped around a 6.3-cm-diameter cylinder, initially at rest, that is free to rotate on an axle. The string is then pulled with a constant acceleration of 2.0 m/s2 until 1.5 m of string has been unwound. If the string unwinds without slipping, what is the cylinder's angular speed, in rpm, at this time

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not even sure how to really start this problem. I used C=2pi*r and got .1979m so I know that is the distance of each revolution. So then I did 1.5/.1979 and got 7.5788 total revolutions. I am not sure if I even need to do that but that is all I have come up with. I am not sure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
So then I did 1.5/.1979 and got 7.5788 total revolutions.

This is almost right. You want to relate the angular velocity of the cylinder to the velocity of the string. Once you have the velocity of the string in m/s, you can convert it to rad/s (and then rpm or whatever).

vertigo said:
This is almost right. You want to relate the angular velocity of the cylinder to the velocity of the string. Once you have the velocity of the string in m/s, you can convert it to rad/s (and then rpm or whatever).

Could I use x=1/2at2 and then solve for t and get t= 1.22. Then do 7.5788 rev/1.22s and then convert to rpm?

tangential acceleration=radius * angular acceleration therefore you can find angular acceleration

Torque=I*angular acceleration; I is for cylinder therefore you can find torque

But torque also equals Force*radus; setting the torques equal allows you to find force

Work=force*distance spring is pulled

but work is also= .5*I*w^2 therefore you can find w (angular velocity)

Change w from rad/sec to RPM's

kerbyjonsonjr said:
Could I use x=1/2at2 and then solve for t and get t= 1.22. Then do 7.5788 rev/1.22s and then convert to rpm?

No, you want instantaneous velocity, not average velocity.

1. How does the length of the string affect the cylinder's angular speed?

The longer the string is, the slower the cylinder's angular speed will be. This is because a longer string will require more time for the cylinder to make a full revolution, resulting in a slower angular speed.

2. Is the cylinder's angular speed affected by its diameter?

Yes, the cylinder's angular speed is affected by its diameter. A larger diameter will result in a slower angular speed, while a smaller diameter will result in a faster angular speed.

3. Can the cylinder's angular speed be calculated using the length and diameter of the string only?

No, the cylinder's angular speed also depends on other factors such as the tension of the string, the mass of the cylinder, and the friction between the cylinder and the string.

4. How can the cylinder's angular speed be increased?

The cylinder's angular speed can be increased by decreasing the length of the string, decreasing the diameter of the cylinder, increasing the tension of the string, and reducing the friction between the cylinder and the string.

5. What are the practical applications of calculating the angular speed of a cylinder with a long string wrapped around it?

The calculation of angular speed is commonly used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics. It can be used to design and optimize rotating machinery such as engines and turbines, as well as to study the motion of objects in rotational systems.