1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding time in a pulley system

1. Dec 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A horizontal bar with a mass of 3.2 kg and a length L of 64 cm is rigidly mounted to a vertical spindle of negligible mass such that the two objects spin together. The spindle has a diameter of 2.0 cm, and it is attached to the bar a distance of L /4 from its centre of mass. A string is wrapped around the spindle, and is pulled with a steady force of 15.0 N. The string is wrapped four times around the spindle.
    If the system rotates at an angular speed of 5.5 rad/s when the string unwinds fully and drops from from the spindle, after the string has fully unwound, how long does it take for the system to come to a stop?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried using Δω=α Δt but I don't know what α is? I'm pretty lost on what to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The question implies it will come to a stop. Why would that be, do you think?

4. Dec 1, 2015 #3
    I'm assuming there is a frictional torque that would cause it to stop, but I don't know how to use that to determine the time.

5. Dec 1, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There is enough information to deduce the frictional torque.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted