Look at a mole. They have eyes, but they are small, and often

• Thread starter Holocene
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eyes Mole
In summary, the mole has eyes, but they are small and often completely covered by fur. The blind watchmaker by Richard Dawkins discusses how some humans have had the lenses completely removed from their eyes and still can detect movement or sense when they are about to walk into a wall. The human knee has an incredible design flaw because it can easily be injured. And the funnybone is also an incredible design flaw because it makes us laugh.
Holocene
Look at a mole. They have eyes, but they are small, and often completely covered by fur. I'm not a biologist, but I'd venture to guess that many are completely blind.

If this is a design from an intelligent being, all I can say is WTF?

Physics news on Phys.org
What about the species that have vestigial eyes? Those are even better. Even human eyes are quite imperfect and suboptimal. Poor design is a good counter to intelligent design creationism.

http://www.csicop.org/si/2001-09/design.html
http://www.pandasthumb.org/archives/2006/11/denton_vs_squid.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_poor_design#Examples

My personal favorite is the recurrent laryngeal nerve in giraffes, shared ERVs or any atavism at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was another good example in New Scientist a couple of weeks ago: Goosebumps.
It is a vestigal reflex that doesn't make much sense anymore since we no longer have fur...

One book I really enjoyed reading was "The Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins.

In it, he talks about how some humans have had the lenses completely removed from their eyes. He talks about how these people are left unable to distinguish images, but can still detect movement or sense when they are about to walk into a wall.

Now imagine if you had these lenseless eyes, and were competing against humans with no eyes at all. You'd have a significant advantage.

I really love reading about stuff like this. It just makes me laugh when creationist try to argue about "irreducible complexity" or ask questions like "what good is half a wing".

Perhaps ask that question to a penguin, who has fully developed wings, and yet lives its entire life hobbling around.

Last edited:
Speaking of Dawkins, he addresses both wings and eyes in two separate chapters in "Climbing Mount Improbable".

Here is one of my threads on intelligent design creationism that has a lot of good links to videos and the like:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=190610

Last edited:
f95toli said:
There was another good example in New Scientist a couple of weeks ago: Goosebumps.
It is a vestigal reflex that doesn't make much sense anymore since we no longer have fur...

That depends on who you're talking about...my uncle...whew, that man has back hair like a bear.

binzing said:
That depends on who you're talking about...my uncle...whew, that man has back hair like a bear.

:rofl:

I'd like to point out the incredible design flaw that is the human knee! :(
(at least, MY human knee is!)

And the funnybone! :eek:

1. What is the purpose of moles having small eyes?

The small eyes of moles serve primarily as light sensors, allowing them to differentiate between light and dark. They also help the mole navigate through their underground tunnels.

2. How do moles use their small eyes to find food?

Moles have poor eyesight and rely more on their sense of smell and touch to find food. However, their small eyes can still detect movement and help them locate prey such as insects and worms.

3. Why do some moles have larger eyes than others?

The size of a mole's eyes can vary depending on their species and environment. Species that spend more time above ground tend to have larger eyes, while those that are primarily underground have smaller eyes.

4. Do moles have any special adaptations for their small eyes?

Yes, moles have a special adaptation called the tapetum lucidum, which is a reflective layer behind their retinas. This allows them to reflect and amplify any available light, enhancing their vision in low-light environments.

5. Can moles see in color?

No, moles are considered colorblind and can only see shades of light and dark. This is because they have fewer cone cells in their retinas, which are responsible for color vision.