Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Look at a mole. They have eyes, but they are small, and often

1. May 30, 2008 #1
    Look at a mole. They have eyes, but they are small, and often completely covered by fur. I'm not a biologist, but I'd venture to guess that many are completely blind.

If this is a design from an intelligent being, all I can say is WTF???
  2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2008 #2
  4. May 30, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There was another good example in New Scientist a couple of weeks ago: Goosebumps.
    It is a vestigal reflex that doesn't make much sense anymore since we no longer have fur...
  5. May 30, 2008 #4
    One book I really enjoyed reading was "The Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins.

In it, he talks about how some humans have had the lenses completely removed from their eyes. He talks about how these people are left unable to distinguish images, but can still detect movement or sense when they are about to walk into a wall.

Now imagine if you had these lenseless eyes, and were competing against humans with no eyes at all. You'd have a significant advantage.

I really love reading about stuff like this. It just makes me laugh when creationist try to argue about "irreducible complexity" or ask questions like "what good is half a wing".

Perhaps ask that question to a penguin, who has fully developed wings, and yet lives its entire life hobbling around.
    Last edited: May 30, 2008
  6. May 30, 2008 #5
    Speaking of Dawkins, he addresses both wings and eyes in two separate chapters in "Climbing Mount Improbable".

Here is one of my threads on intelligent design creationism that has a lot of good links to videos and the like:

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  7. May 31, 2008 #6
    That depends on who you're talking about...my uncle...whew, that man has back hair like a bear.
  8. May 31, 2008 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. May 31, 2008 #8

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'd like to point out the incredible design flaw that is the human knee! :(
    (at least, MY human knee is!)

And the funnybone! :eek:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?