Looking for a better understanding of chemical reactions

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
aclark609
Messages
35
Reaction score
1
This is for self study.

1. Why don't some molecules react? For example, NH3 + CaCO3

2. Where can I find a good list of standart state enthalpy and entropy values for molecules? My Chem I teacher gave us all a pretty good handout, but that's been a while ago, and I don't know where it is.

3. Why do molecules react in the first place? I understand that molecules react to achieve more stability but that seems incomplete. What else do I need to know in a general sense.
 
Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
1. Because one of both of the molecules are inert/stable or the products which may form are of higher energy than the reactants. Or the conditions are unfavorable or possibly other reasons. This question is extremely broad and vague, you can't expect people on here to teach you all of Chemistry. As you advance through a Chemistry curriculum you will take classes such as Organic Chem, Inorganic Chem, Physical Chem etc. Each field has its own "take" on things but it truly all does boil down to the energetics.

2. Try Google. If you need some specific information about a specific molecule which is not listed in typical tables, you can search the literature via Pubmed of Google Scholar or any other scientific literature database/search engine.

Also some texts will have Thermodynamic reference tables at the end.

3. See number 1.