Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for a Bottle Jack for a Hydraulic Car Jack

1. Jan 23, 2009 #1
    All car jacks use a modified bottle jack (modified base).
    A car jack like this:
    [​IMG]

And a bottle jack like this, but with a modified base.
    [​IMG]

I'm trying to find a bottle jack with the modified base for a car jack. I'm making a car jack for a school project but can't find any spare parts for them anywhere.. Can anyone please help me find a bottle jack for one?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2009 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Ludapower.
    To start with, they're both 'car' jacks just as they are. The first example is called a 'floor' jack. Secondly, not all 'car' jacks are hydraulic. All of the ones that I had, which came with the cars, were stand-up ratchet jobs. Most rice-rockets and some European ones came with 'scissor' jacks, which use a lead-screw. I have a 12-tonne bottle jack that I got for my 4x4 El Camino, but it certainly isn't industry standard.
    As for adapting a bottle jack into a floor jack, you need only work out some basic math to determine your leverage ratios, and make sure that you use the proper materials in the design.

4. Feb 4, 2009 #3
    I ended up finding a perfect pump/piston for the job. I can finally get this project going, I'll try to get some pics up whenever it's finished.

5. Feb 18, 2009 #4
    How about a teaser pic
    [​IMG]

6. Apr 6, 2009 #5
    Here's where I'm at with this..
    [​IMG]

7. Apr 6, 2009 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Looking good! :approve:

8. Apr 7, 2009 #7
    very impressive! Did you design that yourself from scratch or did you take dimensions from existing floor jacks? I like how low-profile it is. The floor jack I currently have is too tall to fit under some smaller Japanese cars - gotta grab the fender and lift the body to get the jack under :)

9. Apr 7, 2009 #8
    nice autocad draw

10. Apr 7, 2009 #9
    Thanks!
    I looked at a similar jack they had at CanadianTire (which is discontinued) and based it off that one. We decided to make it lower and correct all the defects that it had.
    We're also using all aluminum and stainless steel parts. The only steel part are the 4 bolts that hold the pump and all the circlips.

11. Apr 7, 2009 #10

Danger

Gold Member

Hey! Another Canuck on board?! Right on.

12. Apr 8, 2009 #11

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor

13. Apr 8, 2009 #12
    Eh! Yeah I'm from Quebec.

14. Apr 8, 2009 #13

Danger

Gold Member

That can be forgiven... :tongue:

15. Apr 12, 2009 #14
    Here's a little update after I cleaned it up a bit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  16. Apr 12, 2009 #15
    it looks really good. im pretty sure it will fit in my low honda del sol!

17. Apr 12, 2009 #16

Danger

Gold Member

That's a very sweet looking piece of equipment, old bean.
    What did you use for the engraving? (Or is that applied vinyl for the graphics?)

18. Apr 12, 2009 #17
    It's all engraved with a #5 Center Drill, except for the TGM 2009 which was done with a 1/8" End Mill. There's my name and my partner's name on the side. TGM stands for Technique de Genie Mécanique (Mechanical engineering).
    I painted over everything then sanded it off and polished the aluminum.
    Old bean?

19. Apr 12, 2009 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should resize your photos to 640x480 before posting them. That way it doesn't offset the entire page.

20. Apr 13, 2009 #19

Danger

Gold Member

It's a British term like chap, or bloke, or mate. Just a wink and a nod at your froggish background; no offense intended.
    Were the drill and end mill computer controlled, or did you do it manually? In any event, it looks terrific. It's rare to see great engineering and art combined so well. :approve:

21. Apr 13, 2009 #20
    Right right, I'm just not used to hearing that expression. Not all Quebecers have a french background.. obviously I do though :D
    Everything is computer controlled
    [​IMG]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?