1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for a coordinate system

1. Mar 10, 2010 #1
    I'm working with a cartestian system that has certain periodic properties I'd like to exploit with a new coordinate system, but I don't know one that would work. The trajectory of the state of the system is symmetric across non-adjacent squares (ie a checkerboard of sorts), so that [tex](x,y)[/tex] can always be contained in [tex][-a, a], [-b, b][/tex], if the following are true. Along y, the plane wraps up on itself at b, so that [tex](x,-b)=(x,b)[/tex]. For x, if the state travels beyond a, it goes back to -a, but y will also be shifted, so that [tex](a,y) = (-a,y+b)[/tex]. Note that this shift might also cause a jump in y from [tex](x,-b)=(x,b)[/tex].
    So wrapping in y means I curl my cartesian into a cylinder, and the wrapping in x might change the cylinder into a torus, but it would have to be twisted somehow so that [tex](a,y) = (a,y+b) [/tex], which toroidal coordinates wouldn't allow(?). I'm not really sure what to search for. Suggestions?

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted