Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation matrix about an arbitrary axis

1. Apr 6, 2015 #1
    Suppose a position vector v is rotated anticlockwise at an angle ##\theta## about an arbitrary axis pointing in the direction of a position vector p, what is the rotation matrix R such that Rv gives the position vector after the rotation?

Suppose p = ##\begin{pmatrix}1\\1\\1\end{pmatrix}## and ##\theta## = -120##^\circ##.

My approach is as follows.

First, perform transformation ##T_1##: rotate the xy plane 45##^\circ## anticlockwise about the z axis. (I treat this as keeping v fixed but expressing v in terms of the new coordinate system CS1.)

Next, perform transformation ##T_2##: rotate the xz plane ##\tan^{-1}\frac{1}{\sqrt2}## clockwise about the y axis (clockwise when the y axis points into your eye) so that the x axis is now pointing in the direction of p. (Again, I treat this as keeping v fixed but expressing v in terms of the new coordinate system CS2.)

Then, perform transformation ##T_3##: rotate the yz plane 120##^\circ## anticlockwise about the x axis, since rotating v by -120##^\circ## has the same effect as rotating the yz plane 120##^\circ## (turning the coordinate system about the rotation axis by 120##^\circ## while keeping v fixed).

We have ##T_1=\begin{pmatrix}\frac{1}{\sqrt2}&\frac{1}{\sqrt2}&0\\-\frac{1}{\sqrt2}&\frac{1}{\sqrt2}&0\\0&0&1\end{pmatrix}## , ##T_2=\begin{pmatrix}\frac{\sqrt2}{\sqrt3}&0&-\frac{1}{\sqrt3}\\0&1&0\\\frac{1}{\sqrt3}&0&\frac{\sqrt2}{\sqrt3}\end{pmatrix}## , ##T_3=\begin{pmatrix}1&0&0\\0&-\frac{1}{2}&\frac{\sqrt3}{2}\\0&-\frac{\sqrt3}{2}&-\frac{1}{2}\end{pmatrix}##

Next, perform the inverse of transformation ##T_2##. (Changing the expression of v from coordinate system CS2 back to CS1.)

Lastly, perform the inverse of transformation ##T_1##. (Changing the expression of v from coordinate system CS1 back to CS0, the original coordinate system.)

Thus, R = ##T_1^{-1}T_2^{-1}T_3T_2T_1 = \begin{pmatrix}0&0&-1\\1&0&0\\0&-1&0\end{pmatrix}##

But R should be ##\begin{pmatrix}0&1&0\\0&0&1\\1&0&0\end{pmatrix}## since rotating v about p by -120##^\circ## has the effect of turning the x axis to the y axis, and the y axis to the z axis, and the z axis to the x axis (turning the coordinate system about the rotation axis p by 120##^\circ## while keeping v fixed).

Why do I get different answers? What's wrong with my approach?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2015 #2
    Thanks for reading! The mistake has been found. ##T_2##'s entries are wrong.

4. Apr 7, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Here is how I would do this, in general, to find the matrix that rotates a vector through angle [itex]\theta[/itex] about axis <a, b, c>. (I will assume that <a, b, c> has length 1: [itex]\sqrt{a^2+ b^2+ c^2}= 1[/itex].)

First, find the matrix that rotates < a, b, c> into < 0, 0, 1>. To do that, first find the matrix, A, that rotates, around the z-axis, mapping <a, b c> to <0, r, c> where [itex]r= \sqrt{a^2+ b^2}[/itex]. I presume you know that, in two dimensions, the matrix rotating thorough angle [itex]\theta[/itex] is given by
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}cos(\theta) & - sin(\theta) \\ sin(\theta) & cos(\theta) \end{bmatrix}[/tex].

So we can write a rotating about the z-axis, as
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}\alpha & \ -beta & 0 \\ \beta & \alpha & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    so that such a matrix mapping <a, b, c> to < 0, r, c> must give
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}\alpha & \ -beta & 0 \\ \beta & \alpha & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}a \\ b \\ c\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}a\alpha- b\beta \\ a\beta+ b\alpha \\ c\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix} 0 // r // z\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    That gives the two equations [itex]a\alpha- b\beta= 0[/itex], [itex]a\beta+ b\alpha= r[/itex].

If we multiply the first of those equations by a, to get [itex]a^2\alpha- ab\beta= 0[/itex], multiply the second equation by b, to get [itex]b^2\alpha+ ab\beta= br[/itex], then add the two equations, we eliminate b getting [itex](a^2+ b^2)\alpha= br[/itex] so that [itex]\alpha= \frac{br}{a^2+ b^2}= \frac{b}{r}[/itex] since [itex]r= \sqrt{a^2+ b^2}[/itex]. Putting that into [itex]a^2\alpha- ab\beta= 0[/itex] we get [itex]ab\beta= a^2\alpha= \frac{a^2}{r}[/itex] so that [itex]\beta= \frac{a}{r}[/itex].

That is, this matrix is
    [tex]A= \begin{bmatrix}\frac{b}{r} & -\frac{a}{r} & 0 \\ \frac{a}{r} & \frac{b}{r} & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex].

Now we want to find the matrix, B, that rotates, around the x-axis, mapping < 0, r, c> to < 0, 0 , 1>. We can write that as
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & \alpha & -beta \\ 0 & \beta & \alpha \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} 0 & r & c \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ r\alpha- c\beta \\ r\beta+ c\alpha \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}[/tex].

So we have the two equations [itex]r\alpha- c \beta= 0[/itex] and [itex]c\alpha+ r\beta= 1[/itex]. Multiply the first equation by r, to get [itex]r^2\alpha- rc\beta= 0[/itex], multiply the second equation by c to get [itex]c^2\alpha + rc\beta= c[/itex], then add, eliminating [itex]\beta[/itex] and getting [itex](r^2+ c^2)\alpha= c[/itex] so that [itex]\alpha= \frac{c}{r^2+ c^2}= c[/itex] since [itex]\sqrt{r ^2+ c^2}= \sqrt{a^2+ b^2+ c^2}= 1[/itex]. Putting that into [itex]r\alpha- c\beta= 0[/itex] we have [tex]\beta= \frac{r}{c}(c)= r[/tex].

That is, this is the matrix
    [tex]B= \begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & c & -r \\ 0 & r & 1\end {bmatrix}[/tex]

Now, to rotate a vector through angle [itex]\theta[/itex] about the vector <a, b, c>, multiply by A and B to rotate <a, b, c> into <0, 0, 1> then rotate through angle [itex]\theta[/itex] around the z-axis, then multiply by [itex]B^{-1}[/itex] and [itex]A^{-1}[/itex] to return to the original axis of rotation.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook