Looking for a decent gravity simulator

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a gravity simulator that can handle arbitrary bodies and simulate the effects of different forces on their orbits. The speaker is specifically interested in firing a one tonne projectile retrograde from Luna at 2.7km/s and observing how the sun perturbs its orbit. They mention "gravity lab" as a limited option for general relativity simulation on the iPad and suggest coding their own simulation as the best solution. The Gadget code is also mentioned as a potential option for simulating N-body problems with multiple gravitating bodies. Finally, the speaker mentions finding Universe Sandbox, which allows for the placement of arbitrary bodies and simulation of launches from Luna, but notes that their first attempt resulted in an orbital inclination
Decimator
I am looking for a gravity simulator that let's me place new bodies arbitrarily. Specifically, I want to watch what happens when firing a one tonne projectile retrograde from Luna at ~2.7km/s. The projectile will end up in an elliptical Earth orbit, but I don't want to discount the sun's influence. I want to see how much the sun perturbs the orbit of the projectile compared to the basic Earth-Luna problem.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You can get a basic gravity simulator that help illustrates general relativity for the iPad called "gravity lab" it limited in terms of thing you can do

sounds like you're looking for some type of professional software, you probably won't find anything that meets the specifications for an experiment like that online

You'll either need access to a lab with it or you'll probably have to pay a lot for it

Your best bet is probably just to code your own simulation

The astrophysical code Gadget does a pretty good job of simulating N-body problems with multiple gravitating bodies. It is freely available here. You will need to be Unix-savvy to install it, and there is a learning curve associated with setting up the initial conditions.

I found a program that appears to do what I want. Universe Sandbox let's me place arbitrary bodies, so I can simulate launches from Luna.

The result was an amusing failure. Within one orbit around Earth, the projectile had an orbital inclination of nearly 90 degrees. A launcher like this clearly would need some ability to aim.

1. What is a gravity simulator?

A gravity simulator is a computer program or software that models the behavior of objects under the influence of gravitational forces. It allows users to simulate and visualize the motion of objects such as planets, stars, and satellites in a virtual environment.

2. How does a gravity simulator work?

A gravity simulator uses mathematical algorithms to calculate the gravitational forces between objects based on their mass and distance. These calculations are then used to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of the objects in the simulation at each time step.

3. What are the benefits of using a gravity simulator?

A gravity simulator can be used to study and understand the complex interactions between celestial bodies in our universe. It can also be used to predict the motion of objects in space, test the effects of different parameters, and simulate scenarios that are not possible to observe in real life.

4. Are there any free gravity simulators available?

Yes, there are several free gravity simulators available online, such as Universe Sandbox, Gravity Simulator, and GravSim. These simulators offer a range of features and allow users to explore the universe and conduct experiments without any cost.

5. Can a gravity simulator be used for educational purposes?

Absolutely! Gravity simulators are widely used in educational settings to teach students about the laws of gravity and celestial mechanics. They provide a hands-on and interactive way for students to understand complex concepts and visualize the behavior of objects in space.