Looking for a good Prob Solving Physics book

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for additional resources for practicing problem solving in University Physics. The textbook being used, Sears & Zemansky's U Phy, provides some examples with solutions but the individual is seeking a book with more problems and detailed solutions. The recommended book is 3000 Solved Problems in Physics, which is a commonly used resource for this type of practice. Another book mentioned is Physics By Example, written by W. G. Rees.
JayHov22
This year I will be taking University Physics. Besides understanding the concepts, I also need to practice solving problems. Although, my textbook (Sears & Zemansky's U Phy) provides some examples with solutions throughout the chapter, I would like more. Does anyone know of a good book with problems and detailed solutions to them? Or anything in this ballpark? Thank you in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks fss, I purchased that book along with Physics By Example W. G. Rees

1. What is the best book for learning problem solving in physics?

The best book for learning problem solving in physics will depend on your current level of knowledge and the specific topics you need to focus on. Some popular options include "Solving Problems in Physics" by Michael Fitzpatrick, "Problem-Solving Strategies in Physics" by Milan F. Piskunov, and "The Art of Problem Solving in Physics" by Robert Oman and Daniel Oman.

2. Are there any books that specifically focus on problem solving techniques in physics?

Yes, there are several books that specifically focus on problem solving techniques in physics. Some examples include "Solving Problems in Physics" by Michael Fitzpatrick, "Problem-Solving Strategies in Physics" by Milan F. Piskunov, and "The Art of Problem Solving in Physics" by Robert Oman and Daniel Oman.

3. Is it better to use a general physics textbook or a book specifically focused on problem solving?

It depends on your learning style and needs. If you have a solid grasp of the underlying concepts and theories in physics, a book specifically focused on problem solving may be more beneficial. However, if you are still learning the fundamentals, a general physics textbook may be a better option.

4. Can you recommend a good physics book for beginners?

For beginners, "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, and Jearl Walker is a popular choice. It covers all the basic principles of physics and includes many practice problems to help improve problem solving skills.

5. Do physics problem solving books only cover theoretical problems or do they also include real-world applications?

Many physics problem solving books include both theoretical problems and real-world applications. It is important to choose a book that covers a variety of problem types in order to develop a well-rounded understanding of physics problem solving.