Looking for a good Mathematical Physics book answers

In summary, the person is looking for recommendations for an advanced undergraduate mathematical physics book with answers for self-study. They mention that they have heard good things about the Mary Boas book, but want more opinions. They specify that they are looking for a textbook-style book that covers topics such as Fourier methods, Laplace methods, Bessel functions, differential and integral equations, boundary value problems, calculus of variations, analytic functions, and linear algebra. They mention that they have enjoyed the content of "Mathematics for Classical and Quantum Physics" by Byron and Fuller, but there are no answers in the back for self-checking. They also suggest two other books to try: "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by Arfken
physicist311
Does anyone know of a good advanced undergraduate mathematical physics book with answers for self study? I hear good things about the Mary Boas book, but want more opinions. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
First off thanks for posting Malawi Glenn. I am looking for a more "textbook" style emphasizing Fourier methods, Laplace Methods, Bessel functions, and general stuff on differential and integral equations. Other stuff such as boundary value problems, calculus of variations, analytic functions, and linear algebra would be good too. I really like the content of "Mathematics for Classical and Quantum Physics" by Byron and Fuller but there are no answers in the back, so I have no way to check myself. I hope that helps.

physicist311 said:
First off thanks for posting Malawi Glenn. I am looking for a more "textbook" style emphasizing Fourier methods, Laplace Methods, Bessel functions, and general stuff on differential and integral equations. Other stuff such as boundary value problems, calculus of variations, analytic functions, and linear algebra would be good too. I really like the content of "Mathematics for Classical and Quantum Physics" by Byron and Fuller but there are no answers in the back, so I have no way to check myself. I hope that helps.
You might also want to try :

Arfken & Weber - Mathematical methods for physicists (is one of the best)
and
K.F.Riley (et.al.) - Mathematical methods for physics and engineering.

1. What are the best Mathematical Physics books for beginners?

Some popular options for beginners include "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary Boas, "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering" by K.F. Riley, M.P. Hobson, and S.J. Bence, and "Mathematical Physics: A Modern Introduction to Its Foundations" by Sadri Hassani.

2. What Mathematical Physics books are recommended for advanced learners?

For more advanced learners, some highly recommended books include "Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics" by V.I. Arnold, "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by George B. Arfken and Hans J. Weber, and "Mathematical Methods in Quantum Mechanics" by Gerald Teschl.

3. Are there any Mathematical Physics books specifically for self-study?

Yes, there are several books that are designed for self-study, such as "Mathematical Physics: A Basic Introduction" by Konstantin Knauf, "Mathematical Physics: A Modern Introduction to Its Foundations" by Sadri Hassani, and "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary Boas.

4. What Mathematical Physics books are best for preparing for exams?

Some popular books for exam preparation include "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering" by K.F. Riley, M.P. Hobson, and S.J. Bence, "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by George B. Arfken and Hans J. Weber, and "Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics" by V.I. Arnold.

5. Are there any online resources for learning Mathematical Physics?

Yes, there are several online resources such as lectures, tutorials, and practice problems available for learning Mathematical Physics. Some popular options include MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and Coursera. Additionally, many universities have their course materials and lecture notes available online for free.