Looking for a low boiling point solvent for MAPI precursors

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential use of acetonitrile and DMSO additives for perovskite synthesis. The speaker mentions the issue of using an aqueous solution of HI with acetonitrile and the possibility of increasing the boiling point too much with DMSO. They also mention the use of methylammonium lead iodide in the literature and suggest defining less common acronyms for better understanding.
Enigman
Things I have thought of till now:

1. Acetonitrile with HI additive
  2. Acetonitrile with DMSO additive
The problem with the first would be that HI is in an around 55% aqueous solution and water doesn't play well with the perovskite. Meanwhile, the second might end up needing enough DMSO to drastically increase the boiling point. I am not sure about the second and intend to try it out and will post updates when I am done. The only thing I have been able to find in the literature was ACN/Methylamine and I don't really have the apparatus at the moment for that.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
MAPI = methylammonium lead iodide.
I don't have a great answer for you, but defining less common acronyms might make it easier to find someone who does. Unless you're adding a ton of DMSO, I can't imagine it would increase your boiling point that much. Wikipedia says methyl isopropyl ketone for PbI2 (bp=92°C). It has a reasonable shot at dissolving methylammonium iodide as well, but wiki can be way off with things like solubility properties.

Likes Enigman

1. What is a solvent?

A solvent is a liquid substance that is used to dissolve other substances, such as chemicals or solids, to create a solution.

2. Why do I need a low boiling point solvent for MAPI precursors?

MAPI (methylammonium lead iodide) precursors are sensitive and can easily decompose at high temperatures, so a low boiling point solvent is needed to prevent this decomposition and ensure the stability of the solution.

3. What are some examples of low boiling point solvents?

Some commonly used low boiling point solvents for MAPI precursors include diethyl ether, acetonitrile, and dimethylformamide (DMF).

4. How do I choose the right low boiling point solvent for my MAPI precursors?

The choice of solvent will depend on factors such as the solubility of the MAPI precursors, the desired reaction conditions, and the availability and cost of the solvent. It is important to research and evaluate these factors before selecting a solvent.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a low boiling point solvent for MAPI precursors?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety protocols when handling any solvent, including wearing appropriate protective gear and working in a well-ventilated area. It is also important to be aware of the flammability and toxicity of the chosen solvent and take necessary precautions.