1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for a specific math notation

  1. Mar 5, 2014 #1
    I'm trying to write a contracted general equation for an expandable equation. Just like there's the summation symbol for sums, is there something for multiplying terms?

    for example.. how do i contract the following?

  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2014 #2


    Staff: Mentor

    Similar to the symbol used for summations (upper-case sigma), there's another symbol that is used for products (upper-case pi).
    $$\prod_{i = 1}^n C_i $$
    This would be a product with a finite number (n) of factors.

    If you meant this to be an infinite product, it would be
    $$\prod_{i = 1}^{\infty} C_i $$

    BTW, people generally don't use Roman numerals for indexes in mathematics expressions. What you wrote would usually be written as C1C2C3...
  4. Mar 5, 2014 #3
    ah okay, thanks alot mark44!
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook