Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking For Differential Type Device For Project

1. Jan 9, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I'm doing a project and i saw a device a few months back that basically, no matter what direction the driving shaft would go the output driven shaft would always go in the one direction. I'm looking for the name of this type of device, or maybe where i can find a site with it

It is something similar to the picture but just the part inside the encasing:

8341688173_eff83aa9a0.jpg

...url if image doesnt show: http://www.flickr.com/photos/91678310@N04/8341688173/ [Broken]

Thanks for any help, it's much appreciated

MrGoodKat

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

a differential?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_(mechanical_device [Broken])

so you're saying the input drive shaft can go clockwise or counter-clockwise and the output shaft will always be clockwise.

that sounds like there's some kind of ratchet to switch from one gear to the other when motion is reversed.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jan 9, 2013 #3
    Well ya, but it is just the bit in the encasing (within the red box in the picture), I can see it in my head, i just dont know what to search for to get the specific one i am looking for. Everything that i have searched for i havent been able to find it in images or videos!

8364386551_2408d1cb17.jpg

"so you're saying the input drive shaft can go clockwise or counter-clockwise and the output shaft will always be clockwise." ya that is exactly what im looking for...

I saw it working, im just not sure where i saw it!

i'll go searching for it with ratchet in it

5. Jan 9, 2013 #4
    Ok i found what i was looking for...dont think it's of any use to me or what i thought it was :P ...

cheers for the help

6. Jan 9, 2013 #5

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

screwdrivers have the ratchet feature where you set it for clockwise or counterclockwise
    so that turning oneway drives the screw in and reversing you get the characteristic ratchet click, click click...

so the trick would be to have a ratchet that moves back and forth based on the input drive shaft and in one direction engaging one intermediate gear and in the other direction disengaging it (ie lift it up) and engaging the counter gear

The only problem I see is the output shaft would rotate in the same direction but stop and start when the input shaft switches direction due to the ratchet switching gears.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook