1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for great books on mathematics (and physics)

1. Jun 18, 2012 #1
    Hello everyone

I will be working half-time for the next year and I want to study lots of mathematics and some physics in my free time. I have a basic understanding of simple trigonometry, differential equations and integral models, but as you might expect I really am starting just from scratch! I have already searched for books but there seem to be way too many for me to decide which to choose. So my question is basically if you know of any great books or even book series of mathematics on basic and more advanced math?
    I know math is complex and there is a lot to learn so i therefore expect to go through lots and lots of books and doing many problems. I am extremely motivated and I am ready to spend quiet some money on materials I just simply just don't know where to start....

Thank you in advance! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2012 #2
    Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang has the stamp of approval from MicroMass (a moderator here), and I can personally say that it's a great book that literally does what the title says...... covers the basics of mathematics. It's also a great stepping stone to take before Calculus. You can probably find a used copy of it for $20 used on Amazon.

As far as Physics textbooks, I won't be of any help. Just use the search function in the toolbar up ahead and type in what you're looking for. You would be amazed at how many of these threads there are with situations eerily similar to your own.

Good luck!

4. Jun 20, 2012 #3
    Thank you for your answer. I will look through the science book discussion thread and look up a review or two on the book you recommended me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook