1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good books on Mathematical methods

1. Jan 7, 2014 #1
    Hello, I'm a first year Physics student. I've decided to take on mathematical methods and be as thorough with it as I possibly can.
    I am looking for books that cover vector calculus, Orthogonal transformations, tensors, curvilinear co-ordinates, index notations and the dirac-delta function in details.
    I am currently using:
    Mathematical Methods for Physicists by Boas,
    Mathematical Methods for Physicists by Arfken and Weber (my favourite till now),
    Vector Analysis by Spiegel

Are these enough to get me through? If you have other books in mind that may be helpful, please mention. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2014 #2
    Mathematical Methods for Physicists by Boas, this book is a gem.

4. Jan 8, 2014 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm not being anal-retentive, but the proper title for Boas's text is "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences". This book has been discussed, reviewed, and recommended (especially by me) several times in various threads.

Zz.

5. Jan 8, 2014 #4
    I also heartily recommend this book! The explanation in the book is very clear and instructive that even as a beginner I've rather few problem in doing the exercises and understanding the concept. If you are interested with the some theory of the mathematics this book also offer some of that, meaning you don't spend the entire books solving equations without knowing the important theorem behind it.

6. Sep 9, 2014 #5
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  7. Sep 14, 2014 #6
    I think that it is impossible to understand the dirac-delta without knowing the distribution's theory. So I recommend Schwatz's "mathematics for the physical sciences". It explain very clearly fourier's transform too.

8. Sep 24, 2014 #7
    Mathematical Methods for Physicists by Boas is pure gold.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted