Looking For Help with Catapult Project

In summary, the conversation revolved around designing a catapult for a term project. The requirements included hitting 3 predetermined targets and 3 surprise targets. The design included using bungee cords and medical tubing as possible options. The projectile could be a golf ball or marble and targets would be on both the ground and walls. There was discussion on adjusting the force of the spring and the launch angle, as well as considering factors such as target height and repeatability.
Harrison Gillis
For my term project we were challenged to build a catapult that can be adjusted to hit 3 pre-determined targets, and 3 surprise targets. I have come up with a design, but I'm not sure it's the most effiecient materials wise. I also would like some insight on the design.I believe I should stop the arm at 45 degrees as that will make it easier when I have to calculate the force needed to hit the target.

dBdXQNa.jpg

H3oOirh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Your drawings are nice but you haven't shown the actual mechanism that does the work of catapulting
like a bungee cord or a weight or something else.

Have you looked online for examples?

Have a think about the factors that control how far the missile will go.

Will it be easier to adjust the force of the spring (?) or the launch angle?

I was planning on using bungee cords. I have looked online but most are not adjustable. Some targets will be on the ground, some will be on a wall.

As for which would be easier I'm not sure. I could use a force spring to measure my Newtons but that would be an approximate force.

You could also use medical tubing too. It was popular with slingshots.

What is the projectile? How big are the targets?

I would probably make both the spring force and the stop angle adjustable, and then use lots of practice shots to calibrate both adjustments to give me the best repeatability.

Putting some targets on walls is an interesting twist. Have you thought about how best to handle those? :smile:

Harrison Gillis said:
I was planning on using bungee cords. I have looked online but most are not adjustable. Some targets will be on the ground, some will be on a wall.
berkeman said:
What is the projectile? How big are the targets?

I would probably make both the spring force and the stop angle adjustable, and then use lots of practice shots to calibrate both adjustments to give me the best repeatability.

Putting some targets on walls is an interesting twist. Have you thought about how best to handle those? :smile:

We get to choose our projectile, I'm thinking golf ball or marble. For the targets on walls, correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't I use [itex] h(t) = (1/2)at^2 + vt + h[/itex] and find my two points at which h = target height and omit the incorrect one?

A compression spring below the arm?

1. How do I build a catapult for my project?

To build a catapult, you will need to gather materials such as wood, rubber bands, and a spoon. Follow step-by-step instructions or watch tutorials online for guidance. Make sure to test your catapult before using it for your project to ensure it works properly.

2. What is the best design for a catapult?

The best design for a catapult depends on its purpose. Some factors to consider are the distance you want to launch an object, the weight of the object, and the materials available. Experiment with different designs and see which one works best for your project.

3. How can I improve the accuracy of my catapult?

To improve the accuracy of your catapult, you can make adjustments to the angle and tension of the rubber bands, as well as the weight and shape of the object being launched. You can also add stabilizing features such as a base or support structure.

4. What safety precautions should I take when using a catapult?

When using a catapult, always wear protective gear such as safety glasses and gloves. Make sure to use caution and follow all safety guidelines when launching objects. Keep bystanders at a safe distance and never aim the catapult at people, animals, or fragile objects.

5. How can I make my catapult stand out for my project presentation?

To make your catapult stand out for your project presentation, you can add decorative elements such as paint or decals. You can also include interesting facts or historical information about catapults in your presentation. A working demonstration of your catapult can also impress the audience.