How Should the Spring Constant k Affect the Efficiency of a Catapult?

In summary, the conversation discusses designing an experiment to measure the efficiency of a catapult. The independent variable is debated, with options including the length of the arm or changing the spring constant k. The dependent variable is the distance the projectile is launched. The equations for elastic potential energy and kinetic energy are mentioned, and the goal is to calculate the energy efficiency. Using a spring with a known constant k and changing the arm length is suggested as a potential method for collecting data.
pcgmks
Independent variable and spring constant k

Hi all,
If someone could spare a minute to help answer my question I would appreciate it greatly,

I am trying to design an experiment to investigate the efficiency of a catapult,
But need help in what i should use as the independent variable-
and how i should use the spring constant k ( get a spring with a known constant k or change the constant each time)

I am using a Catapult- a standard weight- and will to measure distance of projectile.
find the kinetic energy- divide it by the Potential energy to get % efficiency,

2. Homework Equations

Elastic Potential Energy Ee=0.5kx^2 (hookes law)
Kinetic Energy Ek= 0.5mv^2 (v=d/t)

To find the Energy efficiency = Ek/Ee x100

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Need to clarify what i need to change each time to get a range of data,
Would the independent variable - being the length of the catapult arm work (is this the same as how far the spring or rubber band is stretched -the x in elastic pot. formula -) ?
or do I change something to do with the Elastic energy properties like the constant k?

the the dependent variable is how far the projectile is launched. and was thinking that i collect how far the weight is projected each time- from the same angle of 45*?

if anyone could help soon, it would be much appreciated,
thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Would it be easier if i had a spring with a known spring constant k and change the arm length each time,
( i know that a larger arm will make it go further but has it got to do with torque or is it irrelevant to this experiment),

1. What is an efficiency projectile?

An efficiency projectile is a type of projectile that is designed to maximize its effectiveness and minimize any waste of energy or resources.

2. How is efficiency measured in a projectile?

Efficiency in a projectile is typically measured by its speed, accuracy, and ability to penetrate a target. The higher these factors are, the more efficient the projectile is considered to be.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of a projectile?

The efficiency of a projectile can be affected by a variety of factors such as its design, weight, shape, and the force used to launch it. Environmental factors such as wind and air resistance can also impact the efficiency of a projectile.

4. Can the efficiency of a projectile be improved?

Yes, the efficiency of a projectile can be improved by making design changes, using different materials, and adjusting the launch force. Extensive testing and experimentation are often done to determine the most efficient design for a projectile.

5. What are some common applications of efficiency projectiles?

Efficiency projectiles are commonly used in sports such as archery, shooting, and golf. They are also used in military and law enforcement for tasks such as target practice and weapon training. Efficiency projectiles can also be used in scientific research and experiments.