Looking for inroads to higher-level physics

• Thread starter dpackard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is about a second year college student looking for book recommendations to learn more advanced physics, specifically General Relativity, Quantum Mechanics, and Standard Model. They are currently taking a Linear Algebra course and are looking for books between popular science level and full-on textbooks. They also ask for recommendations on what math topics to learn to understand higher level physics. Other users recommend books such as "Modern Physics" by Bernstein, Fishbane and Gasiorowicz and "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by Griffiths. The conversation also discusses the importance of understanding special relativity, PDEs, Green's functions, and group theory in physics.
dpackard
I'm a 2nd year college undergrad who is very interested in physics. I'm in my 3rd semester of physics courses, currently introductory E&M, but I really want to learn more advanced physics as well, or at least enough to understand things at a semi-technical level.

I posted this here because it really isn't one specific topic that I'm interested in, but it all. GR, QM, SM, and beyond.

I guess I am looking for book recommendations for starters. I'm currently taking a Linear Algebra course, so I'm looking for somewhere between the pop-sci level of "The Elegant Universe" and "QED" (both of which I've read this past summer) and a full-on textbook. I'm not even sure if this stuff exists, which is why I'm asking. My university have a fairly extensive science library, so if the only thing above pop-sci are textbooks, by all means recommend some.

Along with this I wanted to know what mathematics I should look into beyond differential equations in order to understand higher level physics. Like this summer I tried reading some of Einstein's technical work, but that didn't make sense to me yet (It was the selections from Hawking's "On the shoulders..." so if that should have made sense with a background in Calc, tell me and I'll just give it another shot, or seek a professor's help).

Well, that ended up being a lot longer than I expected, but any advice/help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure there's such a thing as a book aimed somewhere between popular science and a "full-on" textbook...

Have you done any special relativity? You might take a look at textbook called "Modern Physics" by Bernstein, Fishbane and Gasiorowicz. That also covers some beginning QM.

You can learn GR without doing tensors - try having a look at Hartle's text.

You will probably need to take a course in complex analysis and Green's functions (that will let you see where Feynman diagrams come from!). PDEs are important for understanding waves and fluids. Group theory is useful because it describes crystalline materials as well as symmetries which physical laws seem to obey.

If you are in a linear algebra course, you should probably be able to understand Griffith's "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics." It is a textbook, but it written in a style that is easily readable and interesting. I taught myself some QM out of it a while back, and liked it very much. As long as you have some basic linear algebra and differential equation knowledge you should be fine with it.

G01 said:
If you are in a linear algebra course, you should probably be able to understand Griffith's "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics." It is a textbook, but it written in a style that is easily readable and interesting. I taught myself some QM out of it a while back, and liked it very much. As long as you have some basic linear algebra and differential equation knowledge you should be fine with it.

I think Griffiths is a really good book for learning the formalism of QM, but I think a more wordy introduction is better - it's nicer to motivate QM by looking at the photoelectric effect and what people like Planck and Boltzmann thought about light at the end of the 1800's. But if you want to go look at particles in potential wells, then Griffiths is your man.

Well, I'm going to check out that Bernstein book, but my library doesn't have the Griffith text, any recommendations for a more wordy introduction?

Robbinett's "Quantum Mechanics" is quite good and is used at some universities in introductory QM.
Haaken&Wolf "The Physics of Atoms and Quanta" is a also quite common, but as far as I remember it relies more on mathematical formalism than Robbinett's book

1. What is higher-level physics?

Higher-level physics refers to the advanced concepts and theories in the field of physics that go beyond the basic laws of classical mechanics. This includes topics such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and particle physics.

2. What are some examples of inroads to higher-level physics?

Inroads to higher-level physics can include studying advanced mathematics, such as calculus and differential equations, as well as gaining a strong understanding of classical mechanics and thermodynamics. Additionally, conducting research in a specific area of interest and participating in discussions and seminars with other physicists can also serve as inroads to higher-level physics.

3. How can I prepare for studying higher-level physics?

In addition to gaining a strong foundation in classical mechanics and mathematics, it is important to have a passion for physics and a strong curiosity for understanding the fundamental laws of the universe. It is also helpful to have good critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. Are there any common misconceptions about studying higher-level physics?

One common misconception is that higher-level physics is only for geniuses or extremely gifted individuals. In reality, anyone can study and understand higher-level physics with dedication and hard work. Another misconception is that studying higher-level physics is only for those pursuing a career in physics, when in fact, the concepts and skills learned can be applied to a variety of fields.

5. What are the benefits of studying higher-level physics?

Studying higher-level physics can help develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a deeper understanding of the world around us. It can lead to exciting discoveries and advancements in technology and science. Additionally, studying higher-level physics can open up a variety of career opportunities in fields such as research, engineering, and education.