Looking for medical news and informations sites

• Medical
  • Thread starter scientia =*=
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I've been looking into a career in the medical field for a long time now. I'm wondering if some of you could recommend some good medical news sites or places where I can find up to date research data that is open to the public. Thank you!

Answers and Replies

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The best place to search for research reports is PubMed. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez/

It is an index of abstracts, with links to the journals where the full reports are published. A lot of the journals require subscriptions, though more and more are freely available to the public (especially if you're mostly only curious and can wait for an article to be 6 months old before reading it). Alternatively, your local library may be able to help you get access to those that require subscriptions (all university libraries can do this, but unless they have the copy on-site for you to read it there, if you're not a member of the university community, i.e., student, faculty, staff, they won't be able to get copies for you for free). A lot of journals do have policies that patients trying to find more current information on a disorder they are afflicted with can request individual articles from them for free to get the information they want...I'm not sure what the process is for this.