Looking for medical news and informations sites

• Medical
  • Thread starter scientia =*=
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Medical News
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for reliable and up-to-date medical news and research data that is accessible to the public. The recommended sources include PubMed, a database of abstracts with links to full reports, and local libraries which may provide access to subscribed journals. Some journals also have policies for patients to request individual articles for free.
scientia =*=
I've been looking into a career in the medical field for a long time now. I'm wondering if some of you could recommend some good medical news sites or places where I can find up to date research data that is open to the public. Thank you!

Biology news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
The best place to search for research reports is PubMed. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez/

It is an index of abstracts, with links to the journals where the full reports are published. A lot of the journals require subscriptions, though more and more are freely available to the public (especially if you're mostly only curious and can wait for an article to be 6 months old before reading it). Alternatively, your local library may be able to help you get access to those that require subscriptions (all university libraries can do this, but unless they have the copy on-site for you to read it there, if you're not a member of the university community, i.e., student, faculty, staff, they won't be able to get copies for you for free). A lot of journals do have policies that patients trying to find more current information on a disorder they are afflicted with can request individual articles from them for free to get the information they want...I'm not sure what the process is for this.

1. What are the best medical news and information sites?

Some of the top medical news and information sites include WebMD, Mayo Clinic, Healthline, Medical News Today, and Medscape. These sites provide reliable and up-to-date information on various health topics, as well as news on the latest medical developments.

2. How can I find accurate and trustworthy medical news?

To find accurate and trustworthy medical news, it is important to look for sites that are run by reputable organizations or medical professionals. You can also check for citations and references to ensure the information is backed by scientific evidence. Additionally, choose sites that are regularly updated and have a clear editorial process.

3. Are there any free medical news and information sites?

Yes, there are many free medical news and information sites available. Some examples include MedlinePlus, ScienceDaily, and HealthDay. These sites may offer a combination of news articles, research updates, and general health information.

4. Can I trust the information on social media regarding medical news?

While social media can be a useful source for staying up-to-date on medical news, it is important to be cautious and fact-check any information. Social media posts may not always be backed by reliable sources or may contain biased or misleading information.

5. How can I stay informed about medical news and developments?

One way to stay informed about medical news and developments is to subscribe to newsletters or RSS feeds from reputable medical news and information sites. You can also follow medical professionals or organizations on social media for updates. Additionally, regularly checking reliable sources such as government health agencies or medical journals can help you stay informed.