Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking to advance my knowledge

1. Aug 1, 2013 #1
    I am only in highschool, but I know how engines and cars work and I understand the concept of both. I wanted to know where I could go from here to advance my knowledge on mechanical engineering past basics and more towards what I will be learning in college mech engineering classes

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2013 #2
    The best to prepare for college is math & physics related since engines and cars will just be a subject at the end of the course before that expect to know alot of math.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  4. Aug 10, 2013 #3

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Study thermodynamics would be my recommendation

5. Aug 12, 2013 #4
    Thermodynamics initially. Then IC Engine books.

6. Aug 20, 2013 #5
    I am about to enter my 2nd last year for MECH ENG TECH Adv. Diploma

Patolord is correct, math and physics

siddharth23, wouldnt that be a little advanced for a highschooler? unless you think you can handle it wingnut.

Regardless, Best of Luck

-drew

7. Aug 20, 2013 #6

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You'll study a lot of math.
    So get really good at your high school algebra. Calculus is simple - it turns insoluble problems into high school algebra ones. My biggest problem with calculus was because of my sloppy work habits - I didn't keep things in neat columns so made really dumb arithmetic and algebra mistakes.
    So force yourself now to form the habits of one line for every step, and neat columns.
    You'll need them in first semester calculus.

Have you overhauled an old car engine yet? We learn best by doing. I was an EE but learned an awful lot about gears and bearings and linkages by (out of necessity) rebuilding my '53 Ford overdrive transmission. For a week I had to do my homework in the cafeteria because my desk was covered with planetary gears.

And get yourself a Machinery's Handbook. It is a lifelong reference for the practical details not mentioned in textbooks.

my two cents ..... old jim

8. Aug 21, 2013 #7
    Jim,

That's great advice, I will surely put this into play for myself when I start into the differential calculus which starts in September.

I was once terrible at math. you might ask why I chose this program to study. I enjoy a challenge, after using math for everything, I find myself quite skilled at mathematics. Now I endeavour to learn more and more. Thermodynamics; here I come

-drew

I have attached a link to download a PDF of a handbook for your reference, but once you have the money, go purchase one for yourself. a hard copy is considered invaluable for an engineer's reference library.

http://www.filedropper.com/6mechanicalengineeringhandbookteamtolly

this is from one of those file sharing sites

another good read is any edition of the degarmo's books

Cheers kid, and best of luck

9. Aug 23, 2013 #8
    Maybe a bit advanced, yes. But if he knows a a decent bit already, he could give it a try I guess.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook