Looking to study for a MPhys (Hons) degree in Physics with Nuclear Astrophysics.

In summary, to gain entrance to university and study physics, you will likely need to study prerequisites such as 4 Highers and/or an Open University course called "Exploring Science". I think it would be best to contact different universities to see what they would require in order to be accepted.
tommyboo
hi I'm a 28 year old looking to study for a MPhys (Hons) degree in Physics with Nuclear Astrophysics. i left school at 16 with good gcse`s all A`s and B`s (maths A physics A) but had to go into full time work to support myself. Would it be a problem getting onto a course without A levels and would it be possible to complete one part time and online??

Physics news on Phys.org
I think, without A levels, you'd first have to do a foundation year to bring your science knowledge up to A level standard, then if you get a good enough grade in that, you can move onto undergraduate level study.

That's how it works at my university anyway, and the foundation year is renowned for being really, really difficult.

I think you'd be able to find one to do part time, but I'm almost certain there won't be an online one. Online degrees aren't common in the UK, and the ones that exists are usually business/management types.

I think your best option would be a BSc degree in Natural Sciences from the Open University. They allow part time, distance learning, they don't require formal qualifications, and I think you could study almost all of what you could have studied in the first three years of an MPhys. Unfortunately, the only master's level physics qualification they provide is "Medical Physics".

Degree:
http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/qualification/b64.htm

List of Physics Courses:
http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/science/physics-and-astronomy/courses/index.htm

List of Mathematics Courses:
http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/mathematics-and-statistics/courses/index.htm

Thanks
Scott

Hey Tommy

Im in a similar situation to yourself, I am looking to begin studying fulltime at university in Fall 2012, however I currently do not have the prerequisites for entry. So I got in contact with the university I am looking to studying at, and they advised me of some options. I could study 4 Highers (Scotland) and get AAAB, which given that I am working fulltime is not practical in the slightest. The other option was to study an Open University course called "Exploring Science" as well as complete 2 part time Highers in Mathematics and Physics. This being much more practical and actually plausible as oppose to the first.

I think your best solution would be to get in contact with universities and see what they require for you to gain entry. Then work very hard to obtain those qualifications.

Good luck

1. What is an MPhys (Hons) degree in Physics with Nuclear Astrophysics?

An MPhys (Hons) degree in Physics with Nuclear Astrophysics is an undergraduate degree program that combines the study of physics with a focus on nuclear astrophysics. It typically takes four years to complete and includes courses in nuclear physics, astrophysics, and other related topics.

2. What are the career prospects for graduates with an MPhys (Hons) degree in Physics with Nuclear Astrophysics?

Graduates with an MPhys (Hons) degree in Physics with Nuclear Astrophysics have a wide range of career options available to them. They can work in research and development, nuclear energy, space science, and other industries that require advanced knowledge of physics and astrophysics.

3. What kind of coursework can I expect to take in this degree program?

In an MPhys (Hons) degree in Physics with Nuclear Astrophysics, you will take courses in topics such as nuclear structure and reactions, astrophysics of stars and galaxies, nuclear astrophysics, and computational physics. You may also have the opportunity to participate in hands-on research projects or internships.

4. What skills will I develop through this degree program?

Through an MPhys (Hons) degree in Physics with Nuclear Astrophysics, you will develop advanced skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, data analysis, and theoretical and experimental research. You will also gain a deep understanding of nuclear physics and astrophysics principles and their applications.

5. Is this degree program suitable for students without a strong background in physics?

This degree program is designed for students with a strong interest in physics and astrophysics. While it is possible for students without a strong background in physics to pursue this degree, it may require additional coursework or self-study to catch up with the necessary knowledge and skills.