1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Loop and solenoid, find the current

1. Jun 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a single loop is placed deep within a 4 meter long solenoid having a total number of turns equal to 40000. the loop has an area od 0.01m^2 and it carries a current of 20 ampere. the loop is oriented so that the torque on the loop is a maximum with a magnitude of pi*10^-4 newton meters.

what is the current in the solenoid?

2. Relevant equations

magnetic dipole moment, mu = NIA where N is number of turns, I is current, A is area

torque, tau = mu X B where X indicates cross product, B is magnetic field

magnetic field, B = mu_0/4pi[integral(IdL/r^2)] where mu_0 is constant = 4pi*10^-7, dL is change in length, r is radius/distance, I is current

3. The attempt at a solution

mu = NIA
    mu = (40000)(20)(0.01)
    mu = 8000

tau = mu X B
    pi*10^-4 = 8000sin(90) ---> max torque so theta = 90 degrees
    pi*10^-4/8000 = B
    B = 3.93*10^-8 Teslas

area of circle = pi(r^2)
    sqrt[0.01/pi] = r
    r = 0.056 m

B = mu_0/4pi[integral(IdL/r^2)]
    3.93*10^-8 = (10^-7(4)I)/(0.056^2)
    I = ((3.93*10^-8)(0.056^2))/(4*10^-7)
    I = 3.075*10^-4 ampere

correct approach? correct answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2008 #2

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

For the torque on the loop placed inside the solenoid, that loop only has one turn, so its magnetic dipole moment will just be IA = 0.2 A·(m^2).

Also, somewhere in your chapter, there ought to be an equation for the strength of the ((nearly) uniform) magnetic field inside a solenoid, involving the "turn density" of the windings and the current through the solenoid's wire. (You wouldn't be able to use the Biot-Savart Law on the solenoid, anyway: you can't get a radius for it because we are not given the cross-sectional area for the solenoid. In any case, it isn't needed...)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?