1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Loop falling into a constant magnetic field

1. Mar 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    electromagneticinduction9.jpg
    (Not this exactly, but it gets the idea across)

I have a square loop of wire with sides L and at t=0, I have the bottom side of the loop right above a uniform magnetic field. So the flux is 0 at t=0, and right when I drop the loop, it is forced downwards at a magnitude of mg. My question is, for the time the flux is changing there is a current induced, but also for that time, the top side is not in the magnetic field.

So do I also have to treat the bottom side as a straight wire that is being accelerated in a magnetic field? Therefore there will be an upwards force that counteracts the mg downwards. If so, how would I calculate that upward force because the current in the wire is being induced by the magnetic field, so it seems F=ILB wouldn't work for this.

2. Relevant equations
    F=ILB
    a=mg-(upwards force)
    emf=-dΦ/dt

3. The attempt at a solution
    I just have a fundamental question about the problem, so there's not really an attempt...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2015 #2
    The upward force is created because of Lenz's law right? So the current induced in the wire creates a magnetic field that repels the uniform magnetic field.

I also think that the upward force will balance the force of gravity. But I am not so sure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted