Loop falling into a constant magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a square loop of wire dropped into a uniform magnetic field. The question is whether the bottom side of the loop, which is accelerated downwards, should be treated as a straight wire experiencing an upwards force due to the induced current. The equation F=ILB does not seem applicable in this scenario. The conversation also mentions Lenz's law and the concept of an upward force balancing the force of gravity.
jaydnul

Homework Statement

electromagneticinduction9.jpg

(Not this exactly, but it gets the idea across)

I have a square loop of wire with sides L and at t=0, I have the bottom side of the loop right above a uniform magnetic field. So the flux is 0 at t=0, and right when I drop the loop, it is forced downwards at a magnitude of mg. My question is, for the time the flux is changing there is a current induced, but also for that time, the top side is not in the magnetic field.

So do I also have to treat the bottom side as a straight wire that is being accelerated in a magnetic field? Therefore there will be an upwards force that counteracts the mg downwards. If so, how would I calculate that upward force because the current in the wire is being induced by the magnetic field, so it seems F=ILB wouldn't work for this.

Homework Equations

F=ILB
a=mg-(upwards force)
emf=-dΦ/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I just have a fundamental question about the problem, so there's not really an attempt...

Physics news on Phys.org
The upward force is created because of Lenz's law right? So the current induced in the wire creates a magnetic field that repels the uniform magnetic field.

I also think that the upward force will balance the force of gravity. But I am not so sure.

1. What is a loop falling into a constant magnetic field?

A loop falling into a constant magnetic field refers to an experiment in which a conducting loop is dropped into a uniform magnetic field. This produces a changing magnetic flux through the loop, which induces an electric current and ultimately leads to the loop's motion.

2. How does a loop fall into a constant magnetic field?

A conducting loop falls into a constant magnetic field due to the principle of electromagnetic induction. As the loop moves through the magnetic field, the changing magnetic flux induces an electric current, which in turn produces a magnetic field that interacts with the original magnetic field and causes the loop to move.

3. What factors affect the motion of a loop falling into a constant magnetic field?

The motion of a loop falling into a constant magnetic field is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the size and shape of the loop, the material of the loop, and the initial velocity of the loop. These factors can influence the magnitude and direction of the induced current and the resulting magnetic field, thus affecting the motion of the loop.

4. How does the motion of a loop falling into a constant magnetic field demonstrate the principles of electromagnetism?

The motion of a loop falling into a constant magnetic field demonstrates the principles of electromagnetism through the concept of electromagnetic induction. This phenomenon shows how a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current, and how the resulting current can interact with the original magnetic field to produce motion. It also highlights the relationship between electricity and magnetism and how they are interconnected.

5. What are the practical applications of a loop falling into a constant magnetic field?

The experiment of a loop falling into a constant magnetic field has practical applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and technology. It can be used to generate electricity in power plants, as well as in devices such as generators and motors. It also helps in studying the principles of electromagnetism and understanding the behavior of magnetic fields and electric currents in different scenarios.