Motion of a Charged Particle in a Constant Magnetic Field

In summary, a charged particle with a mass of 6.4X10E-8 kg and a constant velocity in the y-direction enters a region with a constant magnetic field of 3T aligned with the positive z-axis. It enters the region at (x,y) = (0.84 m, 0) and exits at (x,y) = (0, 0.84 m) after 694 μs. To determine the speed at which the particle entered, the distance and time were used to calculate the angle and the force in the x-direction was found using the equation F = m*(v^2)/r * cosθ. The force in the y-direction was found using the equation F = m*(
etcicco

Homework Statement

A charged particle of mass m = 6.4X10E-8 kg, moving with constant velocity in the y-direction enters a region containing a constant magnetic field B = 3T aligned with the positive z-axis as shown. The particle enters the region at (x,y) = (0.84 m, 0) and leaves the region at (x,y) = 0, 0.84 m a time t = 694 μs after it entered the region.

1) With what speed v did the particle enter the region containing the magnetic field?

2) What is Fx, the x-component of the force on the particle at a time t1 = 231.3 μs after it entered the region containing the magnetic field.

3) What is Fy, the y-component of the force on the particle at a time t1 = 231.3 μs after it entered the region containing the magnetic field.

4) What is q, the charge of the particle? Be sure to include the correct sign.

5) If the velocity of the incident charged particle were doubled, how would B have to change (keeping all other parameters constant) to keep the trajectory of the particle the same?

Homework Equations

F = ma => a = (v^2)/r
F = qvB
qvB = m(v^2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Question 1 Solved: v = 1901.25 m/s

Question 2: Found the distance at which it traveled, by multiplying time by the velocity. And from there i used arc length divided by radius to get theta. So, θ = s/r. Then from there I used F = m*(v^2)/r * cosθ to try and solve for the x direction.

Question 3: All I did was used F = m*(v^2)/r * θ, This answer came out to be right, how ever I do not understand why it is right. So can some one please explain to me.

Question 4: I got 48.2857, how ever I do not know if this is right, and I have no way to check.

Question 5: I said increase B by a factor of 2, how ever I do not know if this is right, and again I have no way to check it.

Attachments

• physics pic Motion in a Magnetic Field 1.png
    physics pic Motion in a Magnetic Field 1.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 873
Physics news on Phys.org
1) OK. You have R in two digits, t in 3. So v in 6 digits is somewhat exaggerated. 1900 or 1901 m/s would be adequate.

2) did you notice that this is 1/3 the time it took the particle to do 1/4 circle ? So ##\theta = \pi / 3## would be a little more direct ?

3) what is the difference with 2 ?

I notice you write all your relevant equations a simple products. Which is Ok if you do keep in mind that in fact they are vector equations:

F = ma => a = (v^2)/r is ## \quad \vec F = m \vec a \quad \buildrel ? \over \rightarrow \quad |\vec a| = {\vec v \cdot \vec v \over |\vec r|}## (I wrote a ?, because I don't see the direct consequence )
F = qvB is ##\quad \vec F = q \ \vec v \times \vec B \quad ## with x the outer product

qvB = m(v^2)/r ##\quad \quad ## see above

And now the interpretation: The Lorentz force is at all times perpendicular to ##\vec v## and ##\vec B##, so it does not change ##| \vec v | ##. With both ##| \vec v | ## and ##| \vec B | ## constant, the trajectory is an arc with a constant radius, as per your eqn.

At all points of the trajectory the force is perpendicular to the radius vector. (So: once you have ##\theta##, you have ## (\vec F_x, \vec F_y )\quad ## ).

Question 4: you have m, v, B, r (yes, ##| \vec v | ## etc.) and you have an equation. Why do you say you have no way to check ?

5. same as 4.

And:
F = m*(v^2)/r * θ, This answer came out to be right, ...
is a bit strange. No sines involved, no sign involved either ?
How do you know 2 and 3 are right ? I would expect negative numbers, but your expressions only allow positive outcomes ?

BvU said:
1) OK. You have R in two digits, t in 3. So v in 6 digits is somewhat exaggerated. 1900 or 1901 m/s would be adequate.

2) did you notice that this is 1/3 the time it took the particle to do 1/4 circle ? So ##\theta = \pi / 3## would be a little more direct ?

3) what is the difference with 2 ?

I notice you write all your relevant equations a simple products. Which is Ok if you do keep in mind that in fact they are vector equations:

F = ma => a = (v^2)/r is ## \quad \vec F = m \vec a \quad \buildrel ? \over \rightarrow \quad |\vec a| = {\vec v \cdot \vec v \over |\vec r|}## (I wrote a ?, because I don't see the direct consequence )
F = qvB is ##\quad \vec F = q \ \vec v \times \vec B \quad ## with x the outer product

qvB = m(v^2)/r ##\quad \quad ## see above

And now the interpretation: The Lorentz force is at all times perpendicular to ##\vec v## and ##\vec B##, so it does not change ##| \vec v | ##. With both ##| \vec v | ## and ##| \vec B | ## constant, the trajectory is an arc with a constant radius, as per your eqn.

At all points of the trajectory the force is perpendicular to the radius vector. (So: once you have ##\theta##, you have ## (\vec F_x, \vec F_y )\quad ## ).

Question 4: you have m, v, B, r (yes, ##| \vec v | ## etc.) and you have an equation. Why do you say you have no way to check ?

5. same as 4.

Okay, this is putting me on the right track. Thanks for the fast response. I am going to start with the first one I need to do, question 2. I did not notice that it is 1/3 the time. What did you mean θ/3? I am confused on where I would be using the theta/3? would I multiply the force by cos(θ/3)?

Oh, and welcome to PF! Your use of the template is exemplary, so I could get straight to the point. Hope it helps...

Did I mistype ##\theta / 3 ## somewhere?

I did mistype one third of 90 degrees. It should be ## \pi / 6 ##. But you already fixed that I suppose.

Thank you! And no. This whole lesson of magnetism is confusing me. I broke my hand and had to miss a few days of class. So I am jumping straight into it on my own

Well, typing with a cast on your hand isn't the easiest thing I can think of, but you seem to do OK.
Any questions? PF, or google around (Lorentz force, or: charged particle in magnetic field)
But I take it you also have a textbook. So happy circling!

1. What is motion in a magnetic field?

Motion in a magnetic field refers to the movement of charged particles, such as electrons, in the presence of a magnetic field. The magnetic field exerts a force on the charged particles, causing them to change direction or speed.

2. How does a magnetic field affect the motion of a charged particle?

A magnetic field exerts a force on a charged particle that is perpendicular to both the direction of motion and the direction of the magnetic field. This force causes the particle to move in a circular or helical path, depending on the initial velocity and strength of the magnetic field.

3. What is the difference between a uniform and non-uniform magnetic field?

A uniform magnetic field has a constant strength and direction throughout a given region, while a non-uniform magnetic field varies in strength or direction within the region. The motion of a charged particle will be affected differently in these two types of magnetic fields.

4. Can a magnetic field affect the speed of a charged particle?

Yes, a magnetic field can affect the speed of a charged particle. In a uniform magnetic field, the speed of the particle will remain constant, but the direction of motion will change. In a non-uniform magnetic field, the strength of the field can also affect the speed of the particle, causing it to speed up or slow down.

5. How is motion in a magnetic field used in real-life applications?

Motion in a magnetic field is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as in electric motors and generators, particle accelerators, and magnetic levitation systems. It also plays a crucial role in the Earth's magnetic field and the behavior of charged particles in space.