EMF in a loop; non-constant magnetic field

In summary, the problem involves finding the EMF in a square loop at a given time when given a current function in a long straight wire. The solution involves considering the flux through the shaded areas in the figure and integrating to find the change in flux. The result comes out to be 600 nV, but there was initially some confusion due to infinitesimal lengths not being taken into account.
AJKing

Homework Statement

Refer to Figure attached.

The current in the long straight wire is

i = (4.5A/s2)t2-(10A/s)t

Find the EMF in the square loop at t=3.0s.

Homework Equations

[itex]\xi = -\frac{d \Phi}{dt}[/itex]

And Biot-Savart law for straight wires of infinite length:

[itex]B = \frac{\mu_0 i}{2 \pi R}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution: 600 nV

I cannot recreate this result.

I consider two loops, one below the wire in the picture and one above.
I calculate their EMFS separately as:

[itex]\xi = -\frac{A \mu_0}{2 \pi R} \frac{di}{dt}[/itex]

and find the difference between them.
This doesn't reveal 600 nV.

I try integrating with respect to R, and get mathematical gibberish (ln[0]).

I must be missing something fundamental in my setup - any suggestions?

Attachments

• emfLOOP.jpg
    emfLOOP.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the flux through the shaded areas in the figure.
[EDIT: This can help avoid dealing with r = 0. But I don't get 600 nV either. You will need to integrate.]
[Edit 2: OK, it does come out 600 nV.]

Attachments

• emf loop.jpg
    emf loop.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:
The change in flux for those areas cancel.

So, I consider the third region.

4cm away from the source.
8cm long, 16cm wide (not shown in figure)

[itex]\xi = \frac{\mu_0 * 8cm * 16 cm * 17A/s}{2 \pi} \int^{12cm}_{4cm} \frac{1}{R}[/itex] = 47 nV.

If I don't integrate, and instead just find the difference, I get closer, but it doesn't make sense to do that. ( = 725 nV)

AH!

You were right, it does come out to 600 nV.
Infinitesimal lengths :).

Thanks

I would first double-check the given information and equations to ensure they are accurate and applicable to the scenario. In this case, it is important to note that the magnetic field in the loop is non-constant and will vary with time due to the changing current in the straight wire. This means that the Biot-Savart law for a straight wire may not be the most appropriate equation to use.

Instead, I would suggest using Faraday's law of induction, which states that the EMF induced in a loop is equal to the negative rate of change of the magnetic flux through the loop. This can be written as:

\xi = -\frac{d \Phi}{dt}

where \xi is the EMF and \Phi is the magnetic flux. In this case, the magnetic flux through the loop can be calculated by integrating the magnetic field over the area of the loop. This would give us:

\Phi = \int \int B \cdot dA

Since the magnetic field is non-constant, we would need to use the given expression for the current in the straight wire to calculate the magnetic field at any given time. Then, we can plug this into the above equation and solve for the EMF at t=3.0s.

It is also important to note that the EMF induced in the loop will depend on the orientation of the loop with respect to the magnetic field. In this case, the loop is perpendicular to the direction of the magnetic field, so we can use the maximum value of the magnetic field to calculate the EMF.

Overall, I believe the key to finding the correct solution lies in using Faraday's law of induction and properly incorporating the non-constant magnetic field in the calculation.

1. What is an EMF in a loop?

An EMF (electromotive force) in a loop refers to the induction of a voltage or electric potential difference in a closed loop due to a changing magnetic field passing through the loop.

2. How is EMF in a loop different from a constant magnetic field?

EMF in a loop is produced by a non-constant or changing magnetic field, while a constant magnetic field does not produce an EMF in a loop. In other words, a changing magnetic field is necessary to induce an EMF in a loop.

3. What are some sources of non-constant magnetic fields?

Non-constant magnetic fields can be produced by a variety of sources, such as moving magnets, changing electric currents, or electromagnetic waves.

4. How does EMF in a loop affect the behavior of electric currents?

EMF in a loop can cause electric currents to flow in the loop, as the induced voltage can push charges to move in a certain direction. This is the principle behind generators and electric motors.

5. Can EMF in a loop be harmful to humans?

The effects of EMF in a loop on human health are still being studied and debated. While some studies have suggested potential negative effects, more research is needed to fully understand the impact of non-constant magnetic fields on human health.