Loop released from rest and allowing to fall.

In summary: The induced EMF in the loop as it cuts through the magnetic field and the resulting current causes the force on the wire to be directed towards the magnetic field. Use E = B*length*v to find the force. Then use F=B*I*length to find the speed.
ANON

Homework Statement

The plane of a 20cm x 20cm metal loop with a mass of 10g and a resistance of 0.010 ohms is oriented vertically. A 1.0 T horizontal magnetic field, perpendicular to the loop, fills the top half of the loop. There is no magnetic field through the bottom half of the loop. The loop is released from rest and allowed to fall.
a) Show that the loop reaches a terminal velocity and find a value for the terminal velocity.
b) How long will it take the loop to leave the field? Assume that the time needed to reach the terminal velocity is negligible. How does this compare to the time it would take the loop to fall the same distance in the absence of a field?

Homework Equations

terminal velocity equation = sqrt. (4mg/A)
magnetic flux = A B cos(theta)
I = V/R
I'm not sure if I need other equations...

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding the magnetic flux, and I got 0.02 Wb. I know that the initial velocity of the loop is 0 m/s. I am also wondering if there would be some sort of force upward to resist the movement of the loop downward, so that maybe the speed of the loop is slowed somewhat during falling.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am really stuck on how to answer this questions.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the induced EMF in the loop as it cuts through the magnetic field and the resulting current. Then consider that you have a current-carrying wire moving through a magnetic field--what's the force on it?

Terminal velocity will be reached when the net force on the loop is zero.

use
E=B*length*v
then divide E by R to get I
then use
F=B*I*length=mg
solve for speed, then distance/time will give you time needed

for the second part consider the direction of the force applied

esalihm said:
use
E=B*length*v
then divide E by R to get I
then use
F=B*I*length=mg
solve for speed, then distance/time will give you time needed

for the second part consider the direction of the force applied

First, I know this is an old thread... But can you expand on this?

How can you solve for E = B*L*v if you don't know v? And then, how could you solve for I?

I think the logic here makes sense to me, but I am not making all the connections.

Nevermind, I see that you are plugging these formulas into each other. Got it!

What is the concept of "Loop released from rest and allowing to fall?"

The concept of "Loop released from rest and allowing to fall" is a physics experiment where a loop is held in a vertical position and then released to fall under the influence of gravity.

What is the purpose of conducting this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to study the motion of the loop as it falls and to analyze the effects of gravity on the loop's motion.

What factors can affect the motion of the loop during the experiment?

The motion of the loop can be affected by the mass of the loop, the height from which it is released, air resistance, and the strength of gravity.

What are the possible outcomes of the experiment?

The loop can either fall straight down, rotate around its axis, or exhibit a combination of both motions. The outcome will depend on the initial conditions of the experiment and the factors that affect the motion of the loop.

How can this experiment be applied in real-world situations?

The concepts learned from this experiment can be applied in various real-world scenarios, such as understanding the motion of objects in free fall, designing amusement park rides, and studying the behavior of parachutes and other falling objects.