What is the force exerted by a magnetic field on a rectangular loop of wire?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 20K views
elec_eng
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A rectangular loop of wire with dimensions 2.32 by 7.91 and resistance 0.557 is being pulled to the right out of a region of uniform magnetic field. The magnetic field has magnitude 3.01 and is directed into the plane of the following figure .

At the instant when the speed of the loop is 2.99 and it is still partially in the field region, what is the magnitude of the force the magnetic field exert on the loop?


What is the direction of the force the magnetic field exert on the loop?

Homework Equations


I used
F=(BLv/R)LB

The Attempt at a Solution



I got F=.146N
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is the figure
http://www2.0zz0.com/2012/03/28/20/784488841.jpg
 
its pretty much what I tried. would you provide me with equations for that?
 
elec_eng said:
B and v are to the right!

No, B is into page. OK now that we have the facts we can help you.

I suggest first step is to determine the current thru the wire. Remember Michael Faraday and Georg Simon Ohm?