1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moving magnetic dipole into current loop

1. Nov 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A magnetic dipole m is moved from infinitely far away to a point on the axis of a fixed, perfectly conducting (zero resistance) circular loop of radius a and self-inductance L. In its final position the dipole is oriented along the axis of the loop and is a distance z from its centre. If the current in the loop is initially zero (i.e. when the dipole is infinitely far away):
    a) Find the current in the loop when the dipole is in its final position
    b) Calculate the force between the loop and the dipole (in its final position).

2. Relevant equations
    Vector potential of the dipole
    Magnetic flux is LI, L is the self-inductance and I is the current

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure how to start this problem. Conceptually, I think that moving in the dipole from infinity will induce a current in the loop due to the changing magnetic field, but I can't come up with a rigorous argument.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted