Looping through vectorized functions for a piecewise solution

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter joshmccraney
  • Start date
joshmccraney
Gold Member
Hi PF!

Can someone explain the second line of the proposed solution on this thread to me

https://mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/138919/how-to-implement-a-loop-inside-piecewise

Specifically, I have a function un(x) that looks like
Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 4.47.07 PM.png

I am trying to make this function piecewise such that un[x][[1]] is plotted over a domain ##x\in(0,2h)## and then un[x][[2]] ##x\in(2h,4h)##. I'm unsure how to loop through this procedure. Ultimately un[x] will have many more components, so automating this would be helpful.

Thanks!

Attachments

Answers and Replies

Can someone explain the second line of the proposed solution on this thread to me
It is just a list of powers of x.

joshmccraney
Gold Member
It is just a list of powers of x.
Oh shoot, I said second but I meant first. Sorry, it's been a busy day.

joshmccraney
Gold Member
The hashtags and the ampersand denote a “pure function” that is not given a name. It is a very useful construction, I highly recommend learning to use them.

http://reference.wolfram.com/language/tutorial/PureFunctions.html

Once that function is defined it is applied to {0,1,2}
Got it! Looked it up and it makes sense. However, the following code seems to only fork when I put ##x## in the table (I get results if I put ##x+1-1## and also if I put a constant) but if I put ##2x## or ##x+1## I do not get an output. Any ideas?
Code:
h = 0.25;
cond = 2 (# - 1) h < x < 2 # h & /@ Range[1, 1/(2 h)];
f = Table[x+1, {i, 1, 1/(2 h)}];
g = Piecewise[Transpose[{f, cond}]];
Plot[g, {x, 0, 1}, PlotRange -> {{0, 1}, {0, 3}}]
[code/]

DrClaude
Mentor
Code:
f = Table[x+1, {i, 1, 1/(2 h)}];
This only create a certain number of copies of the same function (here ##x+1##).

joshmccraney
Gold Member
This only create a certain number of copies of the same function (here ##x+1##).
Yea, I think I had to clear my Kernal. For some reason it was only allowing ##x## and not something like ##x+1##. I have it working now and finally understand (to some level) pure functions! Thanks all!

Likes Dale