Lorentz Algebra in Boosts for the spin-1/2 Dirac Field

In summary: But then you run into trouble because there are a finite number of boosts and rotations, so you need to introduce a new tensor to represent the boosts and rotations. The Metric Tensor is that new tensor.
maverick280857
Hi,

What is the origin of the following commutation relation in Lorentz Algebra:

[tex][J^{\mu\nu}, J^{\alpha\beta}] = i(g^{\nu\alpha}J^{\mu\beta}-g^{\mu\alpha}J^{\nu\beta}-g^{\nu\beta}J^{\mu\alpha}+g^{\mu\beta}J^{\nu\alpha})[/tex]

This looks a whole lot similar to the commutation algebra of angular momentum in O(4). But how does the Metric Tensor enter here? I encountered this while studying about boosts in the context of the Dirac Equation.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
maverick280857 said:
Hi,

[tex][J^{\mu\nu}, J^{\alpha\beta}] = i(g^{\nu\alpha}J^{\mu\beta}-g^{\mu\alpha}J^{\nu\beta}-g^{\nu\beta}J^{\mu\alpha}+g^{\mu\beta}J^{\nu\alpha})[/tex]

This looks a whole lot similar to the commutation algebra of angular momentum in O(4). But how does the Metric Tensor enter here? I encountered this while studying about boosts in the context of the Dirac Equation.

Thanks.

This is the "Master commutation" rule of the Lorentz section of the Poincaré group

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poincaré_group

[itex]J^{\mu\nu}[/itex] can be both a rotation generator as well as a boost generator, so this is the most
general way of defining the commutation rules between these generators.

It's far simpler to look at the individual rules like [itex][J^i,J^i][/itex] and [itex][K^i,K^i][/itex] or [itex][J^i,K^i][/itex] where
J and K are the rotation and boost generators respectively.

You can find these in many books like Ryder, Weinberg (vol 1) or P&S

Regards, Hans

Thanks.

maverick280857 said:
Hi,

Thanks.

Lorentz algebra is SO(4) algebra, synonymous almost. To be exact, Lorentz algebra is SO(3,1) algebra. So you can derive the commutation relations for SO(4), and try to turn SO(4) into SO(3,1) by converting Krockner deltas into metric tensors by raising or lowering.

1. What is Lorentz Algebra?

Lorentz Algebra is a mathematical framework used to describe the transformations of physical quantities under the special theory of relativity. It involves a set of mathematical rules and equations that govern the behavior of these transformations.

2. What are boosts in Lorentz Algebra?

In Lorentz Algebra, boosts refer to transformations that involve changes in velocity or motion of an object relative to an observer. They play a crucial role in the special theory of relativity and are a central concept in the study of Lorentz Algebra.

3. How does Lorentz Algebra apply to the spin-1/2 Dirac field?

Lorentz Algebra is used to describe the transformations of the spin-1/2 Dirac field, which is a mathematical representation of particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons. These transformations are necessary to maintain the principles of special relativity, such as the constancy of the speed of light.

4. Why is Lorentz Algebra important in physics?

Lorentz Algebra is important in physics because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of physical quantities in the context of special relativity. This allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations in situations where the principles of special relativity apply, such as high-speed particle interactions.

5. What are some applications of Lorentz Algebra in physics?

Lorentz Algebra has many applications in physics, including in the study of high-energy particle collisions, relativistic quantum mechanics, and the theory of special relativity. It is also used in the development of technologies such as particle accelerators and in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles.