1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz Factor for relative velocities

1. Aug 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two particles have velocities u, v in some reference frame. The Lorentz factor for their relative velocity w is given by
    [itex]\gamma(w)=\gamma(u) \gamma(v) (1-\textbf{u.v})[/itex]
    Prove this by using the following method:
    In the given frame, the worldline of the first particle is [itex] X =(ct,\textbf{u}t)[/itex] Transform
    to the rest frame of the other particle to obtain
    [itex] t' = \gamma_v t (1-\textbf{u.v}/c^2) [/itex]
    Obtain [itex] dt'/dt [/itex] and use the result that [itex] dt/d\tau = \gamma [/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    [itex] ct' = \gamma (ct-v/c) [/itex]
    [itex] x' = \gamma (x-vt) [/itex]
    -Define Lorentz Transform as L
    [itex] dt/d\tau = \gamma [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Firstly we are in the frame where the two particles velocities are u and v.
    The first step comes from applying LX to give: [itex] t' = \gamma_v t (1-\textbf{u.v}/c^2) [/itex]

Differentiating the result gives [itex] dt'/dt = \gamma_v (1-\textbf{u.v}/c^2) [/itex]
    I think that then may be equal to [itex] \gamma_u [/itex] but cannot see how that will help me solve it. Very grateful to all suggestions thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF!

This looks good. You'll now need to "use the result that [itex] dt/d\tau = \gamma [/itex]".

Can you see a way to conjure the proper time ##d\tau## into ##dt'/dt##? Hint: chain rule.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  4. Aug 5, 2013 #3
    Thank you,
    This means (I think):

That I'd be right in saying

[itex] \frac{dt'}{d\tau} = \gamma_w [/itex]
    and [itex] \frac{dt}{d\tau} = \gamma_u [/itex]

We know [itex] \frac{dt'}{dt} [/itex] = [itex] \gamma_v (1-\textbf{u.v}/c^2) [/itex]
    and [itex] dt'/d\tau = \frac{dt'}{dt} \frac{dt}{d\tau} [/itex]

Subbing in gives the desired result [itex]\gamma_w=\gamma_u \gamma_v (1-\textbf{u.v}/c^2)[/itex]

Finding it quite confusing working out what [itex] \gamma [/itex] relates to which velocity, so thank you so much for all your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted