1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz transformation of frequency

1. Jun 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Light (plane wave) reflects from the mirror moving along X-axis with speed V. The wave is orthogonal to the mirror (φ=0°).
    Write the law for frequency change.
    2. Relevant equations
    I know Lorenz transformation for frequency.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    All I do not know is how to apply the mentioned equation. I suppose if we denote ω'1 is the frequency of a falling wave in the mirror's system, ω'2 is the frequency of a reflected wave in that system, ω'1 = ω'2. Also I suppose ω'2 will be equal to the frequency of reflected wave in the stationary system. Am I wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2015 #2

MarcusAgrippa

Gold Member

Convert the frequency [itex] \omega_1 [/itex] of the wave in the lab frame to [itex] \omega_1' [/itex] in the frame of the mirror. The, as you correctly state, the reflected wave has [itex] \omega_2' = \omega_1' [/itex]. Convert the frequency [itex] \omega_2' [/itex] of the wave in the mirror frame back to the lab frame. The conversion is done by noting that the wave phase is an absolute invariant - all observers agree on what is a crest and a trough.

4. Jun 2, 2015 #3
    IMG_20150602_184117.JPG

Should it be like that?

5. Jun 2, 2015 #4

MarcusAgrippa

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted