1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz transformation & relativistic momentum

1. Jan 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We now specify the velocity v to be along the positive x1-direction in S and of magnitude v. We also consider a frame [itex] \overline{S} [/itex] which moves at speed u with respect to S in the positive x1-direction.

question 1 : Write down the transformation law for [itex] p^\mu [/itex].
    question 2: Write [itex] \overline{p} ^\mu [/itex] also in terms of the speed [itex] \overline{v} [/itex] and its corresponding gamma factor.

For the first question I got the following answer which I believe is right:
    [itex] \begin{pmatrix}
    \overline{p}^0 \\ \overline{p}^1 \\ \overline{p}^2 \\ \overline{p}^3 \end{pmatrix}
    \begin{pmatrix} \gamma & -\gamma \beta & 0 & 0 \\
    - \gamma \beta & \gamma & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 1 & 0\\
    0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} p^0 \\ p^1 \\ p^2 \\ p^3 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]
    [itex] \overline{p}^0 = \gamma (p^0 - \beta p^1) [/itex] (1)
    [itex] \overline{p}^1 = \gamma (p^1 - \beta p^0) [/itex] (2)
    [itex] \overline{p}^2 = p^2 [/itex] (3)
    [itex] \overline{p}^3 = p^3 [/itex] (4)
    [itex] \overline{p}^\mu = \Lambda ^\mu _\nu p^\nu [/itex] (5)
    2. Relevant equations
    [itex] \textbf{p} = m\eta = \frac{ m \eta}{\sqrt{1 - u^2/c^2}} [/itex] (6)
    [itex] p^0 = m \eta ^0 = \frac{ mc}{\sqrt{ 1 - u^2/c^2}} [/itex] (7)
    [itex] p^\mu p_\mu = -(p^0)^2 + ( \textbf{p} \bullet \textbf{p}) = -m^2c^2 [/itex] (8)

3. The attempt at a solution

Now I believe I have to substitute equation 7 for p0 in equation 1/2
    and equation 6 for p1/2/3 in equation 1-4
    The only problem now is that equations 6 and 7 assume a certain u2 but I need to get something expressed in [itex] \overline{v}[/itex]. According to my textbook u in equation 6/7 is :the velocity of a travelling object of mass m .
    To me it sounds like this means that I can replace all the u's by
    [itex] \overline{v}[/itex]'s.
    But I already know that in the next question I need to get something expressed in [itex] \overline{v}[/itex], [itex] v[/itex] and [itex] u [/itex]. So maybe that probably means that my theory of how to substitute the u's is wrong.

Of course we can also use Einstein's velocity addition law: [itex] \overline{u} = \frac{u - v}{ 1 - uv/c^2} [/itex] where [itex] \overline{u} [/itex] is the velocity between the two reference frames.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2016 #2

ChrisVer

Gold Member

In the equations (1) and (2), can you write the expression of [itex]\gamma[/itex] in terms of velocity?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted