Losing vision when concentrating on problem

• Medical
  • Thread starter mishima
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vision
In summary, the person has lost focus and concentration on what they are looking at, and believe it may be related to suppression of saccades.
mishima
I feel stupid mentioning it, but I think this happens to everyone and I'm curious if there is a name for this...sometimes when I'm concentrating on an engaging science problem I will lose awareness of what I'm looking at. I suppose its like a daydream but focused on a problem rather than fantastic.

Is this a working memory thing? I simply don't have enough to hold what I'm looking at and what I'm thinking about simultaneously?

Biology news on Phys.org
That's why it is called "losing focus" - the eye takes in much more information than can be processed, so it needs to "focus" on the items of interest; if you lose interest, the eye muscles relax, which results in a "broad field of view", but not focused on anything in particular.

Watch how a cat acquires focus (concentration) when it sees a bird ...

I think it relates to the directives that pass between the working memory and the optical processing system in the optic nerve, etc.

Do you just lose concentration, or do you lose vision?

UltrafastPED: Interesting, I didn't realize my eye muscles were relaxing. Id like to see a video of this happening to someone.

Evo: just vision.

mishima said:
UltrafastPED: Interesting, I didn't realize my eye muscles were relaxing. Id like to see a video of this happening to someone.

Evo: just vision.
You should see a doctor immediately, losing vision is not normal. We can't diagnose, so I won't even speculate on possible causes. I hope things turn out ok.

I believe I know the effect from my own experience, my take is that it is related to suppression of saccades. Eye seeing the same image for prolonged period of time stops to see it (compare http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stabilized_images).

Hopefully it's nothing, but best to get it checked out, I would never assume even partial vision loss is ok unless verified by a doctor.

1. Why do we lose vision when concentrating on a problem?

The phenomenon of losing vision while concentrating on a problem is known as "tunnel vision." This happens because when we are deeply focused on a task, our brain narrows its attention to the specific task at hand, causing the peripheral vision to decrease and our vision to become more focused on one specific point. This is a natural response to intense concentration and is a way for our brains to block out distractions.

2. Is losing vision when concentrating on a problem harmful?

While losing vision during intense concentration is a common occurrence, it is not harmful in most cases. However, if you experience tunnel vision frequently or for extended periods, it could be a sign of underlying health issues such as stress, anxiety, or fatigue. It is always recommended to take breaks and rest your eyes regularly to avoid any strain or potential harm.

3. Can losing vision be a sign of a more serious problem?

In rare cases, losing vision while concentrating on a problem could be a sign of a more severe underlying issue. If you experience this phenomenon frequently or for extended periods, it is essential to consult an eye doctor to rule out any potential vision problems or other health concerns that may be causing it.

4. How can I prevent losing vision when concentrating on a problem?

To prevent losing vision while focusing on a task, it is crucial to take regular breaks and rest your eyes. You can also try using the 20-20-20 rule, which involves taking a 20-second break every 20 minutes and looking at an object 20 feet away to give your eyes a break from the intense focus. Additionally, make sure to maintain good lighting and avoid glare or reflections on your screen or workspace.

5. Is there any way to improve vision while concentrating on a problem?

While it is natural to experience tunnel vision during intense concentration, there are some ways to improve your vision while working on a task. One way is to practice eye exercises or eye yoga, which can help improve focus and reduce eye strain. Additionally, make sure to maintain good posture and keep your workspace well-lit to avoid any unnecessary strain on your eyes. Lastly, regular eye check-ups and maintaining a healthy lifestyle can also contribute to better vision.