B Loss of information and Quantum Determinism.

• Thread starter Simple man
  • Start date
Summary
Natural ways Quantum information can be lost.
Other than with black holes, are there any other natural ways that quantum information can be lost, and thus jeopardize quantum determinism?

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Most typically, information is lost by absorption into unobservably fast oscillations.

Most typically, information is lost by absorption into unobservably fast oscillations.
"Thank you, A Neumaier, for your reply!"

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Are you suggesting that information lost by black holes is a special case of this?
No; the question was about other situations apart from black holes. I was thinking about typical situations in the lab. In the case of black holes, information is lost by absorption into unobservably tiny regions near spatial singularities.

Would those unobservably fast oscillations include the phase of "matter waves" from De Broglie's theory (which become extremely rapid as a particle's velocity approaches rest)? Granted they aren't physical waves as we know them.

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Would those unobservably fast oscillations include the phase of "matter waves" from De Broglie's theory (which become extremely rapid as a particle's velocity approaches rest)? Granted they aren't physical waves as we know them.
I was talking about standard quantum mechanics, not extensions like De Broglie's theory. But if one believes the standard talk about Bohmian mechanics, they claim that observable is precisely the same as with the standard theory. if so, my observation also holds for this extension.

No; the question was about other situations apart from black holes. I was thinking about typical situations in the lab. In the case of black holes, information is lost by absorption into unobservably tiny regions near spatial singularities.
Hi, guys! Hawking said that if spacetime can be warped, tied into a knot, or folded, then certainly information can get caught in those folds, and lost. Would this be an example of jeopardizing quantum determinism, other than through black holes!