Love Where You Live: Your Neighborhood

  • Thread starter Thread starter wolram
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
37 replies · 6K views
rootX said:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...SL61gWOGIZcRHR2SdUE7Q&cbp=12,135.96,,0,-5.77" :!)

I like how you see distant islands from the backyard of those houses. I occasionally take virtual walks along those roads. I went there in December of 2009.

Ha! When I saw the street address, I recognized it as very near to where I used to inner tube across the river to a big island. But it sure looked as if they'd done a lot of development. And those trees sure grew fast. Then I noticed I was about http://maps.google.com/maps?q=14985...07124&t=h&z=17&panoid=0-qSXnlOTh6GH0sCoke_9Q". :blushing:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
OmCheeto said:
Ha! When I saw the street address, I recognized it as very near to where I used to inner tube across the river to a big island. But it sure looked as if they'd done a lot of development. And those trees sure grew fast. Then I noticed I was about http://maps.google.com/maps?q=14985...07124&t=h&z=17&panoid=0-qSXnlOTh6GH0sCoke_9Q". :blushing:

It's beautiful! People who get drive on that road on daily basis are really lucky.

What more interesting is that one of the town near there is named Vancouver while other Walnut Groove. There is also a town named Walnut Groove near BC Vancouver.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
wolram said:
Turbo you must be the ultimate DIY er.
If you want something done, chances are that one of us in this neighborhood can take care of it, at least. Yesterday my wife spun out on a steep hill and slid off the road, burying her car in a deep snowy ditch. Another neighbor risked life and limb to bring her back home. After the plow truck went by spreading some salted sand, I took her back there and then returned home to get my tractor. A neighbor came down with me (at earlier than 7am) in driving, freezing rain, to help me get my wife's car out of the ditch, and he supplied a very nice 3-legged load-rated chain sling that helped me get her car GENTLY pulled out of the ditch with my tractor without causing problems. I am on the hunt for something similar, though it seems new slings are about $500 or so. Simple construction, but OSHA load-rating, testing and certification have their costs.

BTW, today, my wife made that neighbor a chocolate pie with graham-cracker crust (his favorite) to say "thanks" for helping. She's not content to let this be a "good old boys" network, and rightfully so.
 
Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
If you want something done, chances are that one of us in this neighborhood can take care of it, at least. Yesterday my wife spun out on a steep hill and slid off the road, burying her car in a deep snowy ditch. Another neighbor risked life and limb to bring her back home. After the plow truck went by spreading some salted sand, I took her back there and then returned home to get my tractor. A neighbor came down with me (at earlier than 7am) in driving, freezing rain, to help me get my wife's car out of the ditch, and he supplied a very nice 3-legged load-rated chain sling that helped me get her car GENTLY pulled out of the ditch with my tractor without causing problems. I am on the hunt for something similar, though it seems new slings are about $500 or so. Simple construction, but OSHA load-rating, testing and certification have their costs.

BTW, today, my wife made that neighbor a chocolate pie with graham-cracker crust (his favorite) to say "thanks" for helping. She's not content to let this be a "good old boys" network, and rightfully so.

you are lucky Turbo, i have lived in this complex all most a year now, and still do not any ones name.
 
wolram said:
you are lucky Turbo, i have lived in this complex all most a year now, and still do not any ones name.
Last month, a young couple bought a vacation get-away house on the road across from our property. After less than a week, my wife went up there to say "hi" and take them a loaf of fresh bread and the guy told her that they had lived in Weymouth, Mass for years in the same place, yet after just a few days, they already knew more people here than back home. This is a really "network-y" area.

I never knew the previous owner very well, but I had his home phone number back in RI, and I'd give him a call if something wasn't right - for instance, some jerk drove all over his lawns last fall, snapping tips of his evergreen trees to make wreaths. That's REALLY bad manners! I didn't see them in the act, just the tire tracks, and a couple of piles of fir tips that they had snapped off and didn't take with them. The new owners manage to be here every weekend. They have snowmobiles, and ITS 87 runs through their property, as it does mine.
 
wolram said:
you are lucky Turbo, i have lived in this complex all most a year now, and still do not any ones name.
Thank god for Physics Forums. We're all here for you.
 
wolram said:
you are lucky Turbo, i have lived in this complex all most a year now, and still do not any ones name.

Maybe that's why it's called a complex.
 
lisab said:
Maybe that's why it's called a complex.
:-p