Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Low Air Compressor CFM Still Works?

1. Sep 21, 2016 #1
    Halfway through my thesis on a mach 2 ramjet, and I unfortunately realize that I need 50-72 CFM to test it. The only ACs I have are 2 CFM portable pancakes. Is it possible to run say a 25 CFM AC at 50 CFM for a short period of 10-60 seconds? Is there a quantitative way to find how long the AC will last above the required CFM?

I used isentropic equations to find that the required tank pressure is ~115 psi for mach 2 outlet, if that helps...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2016 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Are you using "CFM" as a measure of volume flow or mass flow? According to http://www.truetex.com/aircompressors.htm the CFM rating of an air compressor is a measure of mass flow.

I don't know how you can run a typical air compressor at a variable CFM. I suppose the flow rate varies as you make it work against more and more pressure, but haven't seen any compressors where you can set the CFM to a specific value.

Can you get a large reservoir tank and slowly fill it with compressed air, then release the air suddenly?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted