Use cheap portable compressor to generate cycling high pressure burst

In summary, the individual is looking for a way to use a portable tire inflator type compressor to run a venturi vacuum adapter that requires 80 psi to pull full vacuum. They propose using a small chamber in the output line to produce sustained bursts of high PSI air. They are seeking help in identifying a pressure release valve that can trip at 125 psi and snap shut at 60 psi to enable this cycle. They also mention the option of using a check valve in the vacuum section of the line, but are unsure of how it would create oscillating bursts of high PSI air. They are open to suggestions and would like to avoid using a solenoid valve and rigging electronics.
jmollis
There was a somewhat similar post regarding raising the PSI of a compressor but it doesn't provide an answer to this problem. For various reasons I need to use a very portable cheap tire inflator type compressor. It's ~1 CFM and can inflate to 150 psi maximum pressure (very slowly!). I need to use it to run a venturi type vacuum adapter. It requires 80 psi to pull full vacuum (27.5"Hg).

What I'm hoping to do to make this work is to have a small chamber in the output line. The idea is that it will fill to 125 psi and then empty thereby producing a sustained burst of high PSI air. The PSI curve should tail off but there always needs to be a little pressure so that air doesn't rush into the venturi vacuum adapter backwards (alternatively I could use a check valve in the vacuum section of the line to prevent this back flow but fewer parts is preferred).

I imagine that some kind of pressure release valve would work but I don't know exactly how they function. When the inline expansion tube hits 125 PSI it should trip and then snap shut at around 60 PSI to enable the next cycle. I'm looking for someone to help me identify what part might be able to accomplish this. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Check valves are cheap and easy.

As I mentioned that check valve only helps the problem of back-flow through the venturi vacuum pump. How does a check valve give me oscillating bursts of high PSI air? Its this part that I don't know what to do short of using a solenoid valve and rigging some electronics to open and close it at a set interval. This seems overly complicated.

1. How does a cheap portable compressor generate high pressure bursts?

A cheap portable compressor works by using a motor to compress air inside a chamber. This compressed air is then released in short bursts at high pressure, allowing it to power various tools and equipment.

2. What are the benefits of using a cheap portable compressor for cycling?

A cheap portable compressor can provide a consistent and reliable source of high pressure bursts, making it ideal for cycling applications. It is also compact and easy to transport, making it convenient for use on-the-go.

3. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a cheap portable compressor for cycling?

Yes, it is important to always follow the instructions and safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer. This may include wearing protective gear, ensuring proper ventilation, and using the compressor on a stable surface.

4. Can a cheap portable compressor be used for other purposes besides cycling?

Yes, a cheap portable compressor can be used for a variety of tasks such as inflating tires, powering pneumatic tools, and even filling up air mattresses. However, it is important to check the compressor's specifications to ensure it is suitable for the task at hand.

5. How do I maintain a cheap portable compressor to ensure its longevity?

Regular maintenance is key to keeping a cheap portable compressor in good working condition. This may include checking and replacing the oil, cleaning or replacing air filters, and inspecting for any potential damage or wear and tear. It is also important to store the compressor in a dry and clean environment when not in use.