Lower bound for the norm of the resolvent

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter alle.fabbri
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bound Norm
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
alle.fabbri
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Hi all!
I hope this is the right section to post such a question...
I'm studying the theory of resolvent from the QM books by A. Messiah and I read in a footnote (page 713) that the norm of the resolvent satisfies
[tex] \|R_A(z)\| = \lVert \frac{1}{A-zI} \rVert \ge \text{dist}(z,\sigma(A))^{-1}[/tex]
where the equality holds for self-adjoint operators and "dist" is the distance of z from the closest eigenvalue of A. Any idea of how to prove this? Links are good as well as answers...

Thanks to anyone who will answer...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you are in a finite-dimensional space, and if [tex]\lambda[/tex] is the closest to [tex]z[/tex] eigenvalue, look what operators [tex]A- z I[/tex]
and [tex](A- z I)^{-1}[/tex] do with the corresponding eigenvector.