Lower mass limit for neutron stars?

• Thread starter Reedbeta
  • Start date
I was wondering, does anyone know of a lower limit on the mass of a neutron star from fundamental physics? That is, the smallest it could be before its pressure would make it explode.

I don't mean the Chandrasekhar limit, as that's the upper limit for a white dwarf. Neutron stars occurring "in the wild" probably can't be too much smaller than this, as they would never have collapsed to a neutron star in the first place, but ignoring that fact, might much-smaller neutron stars be stable if they could somehow be created?

Answers and Replies

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The funny thing about neutron stars is they don't explode. If a neutron star accretes enough mass after formation, it will collapse into a black hole.

bcrowell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I think the Chandrasekhar limit is the limit. The Chandrasekhar limit isn't based on stellar evolution or detailed mechanisms of collapse. It's based on stability. If you could initially form a ball of neutrons with a mass under the Chandrasekhar limit, I think it would do [itex]n\rightarrow p+e^-+\bar{\nu}[/itex] and turn into a white dwarf.

marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I think the Chandrasekhar limit is the limit. The Chandrasekhar limit isn't based on stellar evolution or detailed mechanisms of collapse. It's based on stability. If you could initially form a ball of neutrons with a mass under the Chandrasekhar limit, I think it would do [itex]n\rightarrow p+e^-+\bar{\nu}[/itex] and turn into a white dwarf.
Intriguing thought! I suspect you are right. Nothing else seems to make sense.

Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
See http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0012321
On the minimum and maximum mass of neutron stars and the delayed collapse
Authors: Klaus Strobel, Manfred K. Weigel (University of Munich)
(Submitted on 14 Dec 2000)
Abstract: The minimum and maximum mass of protoneutron stars and neutron stars are investigated. The hot dense matter is described by relativistic (including hyperons) and non-relativistic equations of state. We show that the minimum mass ($\sim$ 0.88 - 1.28 $M_{\sun}$) of a neutron star is determined by the earliest stage of its evolution and is nearly unaffected by the presence of hyperons. The maximum mass of a neutron star is limited by the protoneutron star or hot neutron star stage. Further we find that the delayed collapse of a neutron star into a black hole during deleptonization is not only possible for equations of state with softening components, as for instance, hyperons, meson condensates etc., but also for neutron stars with a pure nucleonic-leptonic equation of state.
Comments: 6 pages, 4 figures, using EDP Siences Latex A&A style, to be published in A&A
Subjects: Astrophysics (astro-ph); Nuclear Theory (nucl-th)
Journal reference: Astron.Astrophys.367:582,2001
DOI: 10.1051/0004-6361:20000428
Cite as: arXiv:astro-ph/0012321v1

Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The key factor is the core mass of the progenitor star. The supernova event that births a neutron star expels a large fraction of the progenitor star mass. Most known neutron stars fall below the Chandrasekhar mass limit. The lowest known neutron star mass is around 1 solar.

Last edited: