Lower microwave absorption efficiency to increase penetration (cooking)

In summary: Appears to be a typo where "resonant" is supposed to be "resonant frequencies".) If the frequency is a little off then you still get energy transfer but less efficiently, right? If it's less efficient then where is the loss?I don't know how reliable this random page of information from 1965 is but it seems to suggest (along with an equation; two thirds of the way down) that penetration is determined by the frequency so I'd expect fancy microwaves for rich people to have such a function. Companies like to offer different models of machine to consumers so they can get the most money in exchange for similar goods and this seems like an obvious feature to include in a high-end model.
seanspotatobusiness
A problem I encounter when microwaving food is that the centre is no penetrated by the microwaves so remains cool and I have to wait for the heat to be conducted through which takes a long time and undermines one of the advantages of microwaving which is the speed of the process. Would it make sense to have a microwave whose emission spectrum could be nudged a hair away from optimal absorption, allowing the microwaves to penetrate just a little deeper into the food? Ideally it could be controlled to match the nature of the food being heated. Obviously it shouldn't be possible to adjust it to the extent that it's just passing through the food.

Science news on Phys.org
seanspotatobusiness said:
A problem I encounter when microwaving food is that the centre is no penetrated by the microwaves so remains cool and I have to wait for the heat to be conducted through which takes a long time and undermines one of the advantages of microwaving which is the speed of the process. Would it make sense to have a microwave whose emission spectrum could be nudged a hair away from optimal absorption, allowing the microwaves to penetrate just a little deeper into the food? Ideally it could be controlled to match the nature of the food being heated. Obviously it shouldn't be possible to adjust it to the extent that it's just passing through the food.
Does your microwave oven have a built-in rotating platter? That is a big help in getting better uniformity in microwave cooking.

http://microwaveturntableplate.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/microwave-oven.png
microwave-oven.png

berkeman said:
Does your microwave oven have a built-in rotating platter? That is a big help in getting better uniformity in microwave cooking.

http://microwaveturntableplate.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/microwave-oven.png
microwave-oven.png

Mine at home does but that doesn't penetrate a big, deep circular pot of nachos.

The microwaves at work are of the catering type and don't have rotating platters; I'm not sure why. Presumably they have some other way of eliminating hotspots but the same problem applies; hot exterior and cold interior!

For some products, cooking at a 70% to 80% power can assist.

I already do limit power to permit more time for conduction of heat but the thing is, I'm not really interested in finding solutions that fudge existing designs into sort of working. I already know about these and wouldn't have come to a physics forum to ask! I want to know whether it's not feasible for a microwave to adjust the frequency ever so slightly that the microwaves penetrate deeper into the food (but not so much that they just pass right through, obviously). I don't know how the frequency of the waves generated is controlled and whether it's practical to vary them but I guess there aren't many people around who would really know the answer to how a microwave functions in such detail.

I guess there aren't many people around who would really know the answer to how a microwave functions in such detail.
Of course there are plenty of folks here who understand how microwave generators are used in commercial microwave ovens. That's not really the issue here. And BTW making them chirp a bit in frequency would hopefully be fairly inexpensive, but would definitely add cost to the microwave generator.

The harder question is whether some modulation of the wavelength of the microwave cooking radiation would improve the uniformity of the heating, allowing you to increase the power and decrease the cooking time, right? That's less of a physics/EE question, and more of a specialized material science question, it would seem...

My vague understanding of the microwave is oven is that it targets one of the natural (resonant?) frequencies of the water molecule to enable efficient transfer of energy to those molecules. My understanding natura;/resonant frequencies is that they are the most efficient frequency to transfer energy to a system (the system the frequency applies to, so a water molecule). If the frequency is a little off then you still get energy transfer but less efficiently, right? If it's less efficient then where is the loss? I thought deeper into the food.

I don't know how reliable this random page of information from 1965 is but it seems to suggest (along with an equation; two thirds of the way down) that penetration is determined by the frequency so I'd expect fancy microwaves for rich people to have such a function. Companies like to offer different models of machine to consumers so they can get the most money in exchange for similar goods and this seems like an obvious feature to include in a high-end model.

My vague understanding of the microwave is oven is that it targets one of the natural (resonant?) frequencies of the water molecule to enable efficient transfer of energy to those molecules.
That's actually not the case. The frequency used is nowhere near any resonance in water. (In addition, there would be no unique resonance frequency for all water molecules in different food stuffs.) The transfer of energy takes place through dielectric heating. You can have a look at Wikipedia for more details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_oven

Likes seanspotatobusiness, tech99 and davenn
Find and read any basic information on microwave for food home or industrial use, and you will find that the frequencies are regulated.

LittleJoe said:
Find and read any basic information on microwave for food home or industrial use, and you will find that the frequencies are regulated.
The frequencies are regulated to prevent interference with radio services, but basically any frequency in the microwave region would be suitable for cooking - it does not depend on water resonances.

I'm pretty sure I was taught that microwaves operate at resonant frequency of water at school but that shouldn't be surprising since I had a biology teacher who didn't know whether yeast was alive and a couple of chemistry teachers with way worse understanding than mine (I learned from the textbooks and not from them though; the same for my other subjects (except maths for which teaching was pretty solid) but some misinformation could still slip through).

Thus, I don't suppose there's anything to be done about improving penetration by tweaking the frequency. I read that only two of the permitted frequencies are economical to produce but I wonder whether one penetrates deeper than the other.

What about high-energy beta irradiation??

I'm pretty sure I was taught that microwaves operate at resonant frequency of water at school but that shouldn't be surprising since

yeah I was taught that bad science as well ... it isn't true
water molecule resonance is in the Terahertz, not in the low Gigahertz

Thus, I don't suppose there's anything to be done about improving penetration by tweaking the frequency.

no, as you cannot "tweak" the freq anywhere near enough to make any significant difference

Dave

1. How does lowering microwave absorption efficiency increase penetration for cooking?

Lowering microwave absorption efficiency means that less energy is absorbed by the food being cooked. This allows the microwaves to penetrate deeper into the food, leading to more even cooking and better results.

2. What factors contribute to lower microwave absorption efficiency?

Factors such as the density and water content of the food, as well as the shape and size of the container it is being cooked in, can affect microwave absorption efficiency. Foods with lower water content and in flatter containers tend to have lower absorption efficiency.

3. Is it safe to lower microwave absorption efficiency when cooking?

Yes, it is safe to lower microwave absorption efficiency for cooking. The microwaves used in cooking are non-ionizing, meaning they do not have enough energy to cause damage to cells or DNA. However, it is important to follow proper cooking guidelines and ensure the food is heated to a safe temperature.

4. Can lowering microwave absorption efficiency affect the taste or texture of the food?

Yes, lowering microwave absorption efficiency can affect the taste and texture of food. This is because microwaves not only heat the food, but also excite the water molecules within it. Lowering absorption efficiency may result in uneven heating, leading to variations in taste and texture.

5. Are there any benefits to increasing microwave penetration for cooking?

Increasing microwave penetration can lead to more evenly cooked food, reducing the likelihood of overcooked or undercooked spots. It can also decrease cooking time, as the microwaves can reach the center of the food more quickly. Additionally, it may be beneficial for certain types of foods, such as meats or larger items, that require deeper penetration for thorough cooking.