Lowest Possible Frequencies of a Sound

In summary, the loudspeaker at the origin emits sound waves with a speed of 340 m/s on a day when the speed of sound is 340 m/s. The crest of the wave simultaneously passes listeners at (40m, 0) and (0, 30m). The lowest two possible frequencies of the sound are 34 Hz and 68 Hz, with the Second Harmonic being double the Fundamental frequency.
nautikal

Homework Statement

A loudspeaker at the origin emits sound waves on a day when the speed of sound is 340 m/s. A crest of the wave simultaneously passes listeners at the (x, y) coordinates (40m, 0) and (0, 30m). What are the lowest two possible frequencies of the sound?

Homework Equations

[tex]\lambda=v/f[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is 34 and 68 Hz from looking in the back of the book, but I don't understand how to get there. I know that there is some maximum wavelength where there will be crests at a distance of 40m and 30m, but I don't know how to solve for that mathematically (it is 10m by guess and check using common factors).

Physics news on Phys.org
It's pretty straight forward. You have one equation with three variables. To solve for frequency (one variable) you must have the two other variables. One is given directly to you, and the other is found with simple arithmetic.

You don't really care that that the crests are simultaneously passing the locations 30m and 40m from the source. What matters is what that statement implies. Hint: The source location doesn't matter.

You made the connection when you said
I know that there is some maximum wavelength where there will be crests at a distance of 40m and 30m...

What commonality does 10m have with two positions of 30m and 40m?

Anything more and I'm giving you the answer you already didn't work for.

So 10m is the wavelength, and when you plug it into the lambda=v/f and solve for f, you get 34 Hz. But how do you get the 68 Hz? I know to get 68 Hz, you divide 340 by 5, but i don't really know what you would have to do that.

Last edited:
Think about the question...it's asking for the two lowest frequencies. Fundamental and then the Second Harmonic. 34Hz is the Fundamental (First Harmonic) so the Second Harmonic being double the Fundamental is...68Hz :)

I would approach this problem by first understanding the relationship between wavelength, frequency, and the speed of sound. The equation \lambda=v/f represents the relationship between wavelength (\lambda), frequency (f), and the speed of sound (v). This equation tells us that as the frequency of a sound increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa.

In this problem, we are given the speed of sound (v=340 m/s) and the distances at which the crests of the sound wave are passing by listeners (x=40m and y=30m). From this information, we can set up the following equations:

For the listener at (40,0):
\lambda = 40m
For the listener at (0,30):
\lambda = 30m

We can then use the equation \lambda=v/f to solve for the lowest possible frequencies for each listener. Plugging in the given values for wavelength and speed of sound, we get:

For the listener at (40,0):
40m = (340 m/s)/f
f = 340 m/s / 40m = 8.5 Hz

For the listener at (0,30):
30m = (340 m/s)/f
f = 340 m/s / 30m = 11.3 Hz

Therefore, the lowest two possible frequencies for the sound in this scenario are 8.5 Hz and 11.3 Hz. It's important to note that these are not the only possible frequencies, but they are the lowest possible ones based on the given information.

What are the lowest possible frequencies of a sound?

The lowest possible frequency of a sound is known as its fundamental frequency. This frequency is determined by the size, shape, and material of the object producing the sound. The lowest possible frequency for a human to hear is around 20 Hz, while some animals can hear frequencies as low as 5 Hz.

How are the lowest possible frequencies of a sound measured?

The lowest possible frequency of a sound is measured in hertz (Hz). This unit measures the number of vibrations per second that a sound wave produces. The lower the frequency, the larger the wavelength of the sound wave.

What factors affect the lowest possible frequencies of a sound?

The lowest possible frequency of a sound is affected by the size, shape, and material of the object producing the sound. Objects with larger dimensions, such as a large drum, will produce lower frequencies than smaller objects. The material of the object can also impact the frequency, as some materials absorb or reflect sound waves differently.

Can the lowest possible frequencies of a sound be heard by humans?

Yes, the lowest possible frequency of a sound that can be heard by humans is around 20 Hz. However, these low frequencies are often difficult to hear and can be felt more as vibrations rather than heard as distinct sounds.

How do the lowest possible frequencies of a sound differ from the highest possible frequencies?

The lowest possible frequencies of a sound have larger wavelengths and produce lower tones, while the highest possible frequencies have smaller wavelengths and produce higher pitches. The range of frequencies that humans can hear is typically between 20 Hz and 20,000 Hz.