1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing Luck and pure math exams vs. applied math exams

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    has luck been a factor in your exam? How does it compare in pure math exams to applied math exams?

I personally feel that in applied math i'm able to do w/e i have practiced, luck isn't that important. But in pure math i need a luck factor as well, along with a good practice. I feel like have to be lucky enough to comprehend the questions in a certain way that it yields a fruitful answer. Maybe i'm putting this on luck b/c i don't feel secure with pure math exams.

is that just me or happens to others as well?

edit: i suppose in a applied course (say ODE), there are only certain types of question that would be asked in exam/test. One is able to practice them all...and if s/he does luck isn't that important. But in pure math, there are uncountable ways of asking a question and i guess luck is important?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2009 #2
    Yes, I remember on a discrete maths exam I sat recently, it was for 3 hours and I finished almost all of it in the first 1.5 hrs. I spent the next 1.5 hrs on this one question worth 4/120 marks. I did get it in the end, and it wasn't even that hard, I was just thinking about it the wrong way. But at my university only the best x out of y problems are counted, so there is a bit of cushion if a particular question just doesn't click on that day.

4. Nov 24, 2009 #3
    yeah that happens a buncha time.

anyone else with similar experience?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook