Luffing Jib Load, With and Without Sheave Pulley

In summary, the tension in the red rope for hanging a blue box at the tip of the boom is the same whether it is done with a pulley system or tied to the motor/ground in a static load condition. The weight of the blue rope and pulley are not taken into account. The function of the guy in (A) is to support the weight, while in (B) its function is changed. In (C), the tension of the red rope is greater than in (D) because the load in (C) is double pulled by the load and ground.
Herbid
Homework Statement
Problem w/ Luffing Jib Load, With and Without Sheave Pulley
Relevant Equations
F = M x a
Now I am working with a DIY Luffing Jib Crane.

Mys subcon said that:
Tension of red rope for hanging a blue box load at the tip of the boom i(A) s as the same as hanging it with pulley and tied to the motor/ground_B (System in a Static Load Condition)..
Blue Rope and Pulley weights are neglected.

I assume by the pic C and D.

Can anybody give me some advicer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Herbid said:
I assume by the pic C and D.
What are you assuming by (C) and (D)?

Have you established in your mind why there is identical tension in the red cable in (A) and (B)?

Other questions you might consider is what is the function of the guy in A? How does it help support the weight. How is its function changed in B?

NascentOxygen said:
What are you assuming by (C) and (D)?

Have you established in your mind why there is identical tension in the red cable in (A) and (B)?
It is indeed in C, the tension of red Rope is bigger the in D, because the load in C is double pulled by load and ground.
CMIIW

1. What is a luffing jib load?

A luffing jib load refers to the weight or force that is applied to the luffing jib of a crane. The luffing jib is the part of the crane that extends horizontally and supports the load.

2. What is the purpose of a sheave pulley in relation to luffing jib load?

A sheave pulley is used to change the direction of the load and increase the lifting capacity of the luffing jib. Without a sheave pulley, the load would have to be lifted straight up, which would put more strain on the crane and decrease its lifting capacity.

3. How does the luffing jib load affect the stability of the crane?

The luffing jib load can significantly impact the stability of the crane. If the load is too heavy, it can cause the crane to tip over. Additionally, if the load is not evenly distributed, it can cause the crane to become unbalanced and potentially tip over as well.

4. What factors affect the luffing jib load?

The main factors that affect the luffing jib load include the weight of the load, the angle of the luffing jib, and the length of the luffing jib. Other factors such as wind speed and ground conditions can also impact the load and should be taken into consideration when calculating the load capacity.

5. How is the luffing jib load calculated?

The luffing jib load is calculated using a formula that takes into account the weight of the load, the angle of the luffing jib, and the length of the jib. This formula is known as the load moment formula and is used to determine the maximum load capacity of a crane.