Lumped mass approach to wing tip vibration

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a cantilever beam and the use of a lumped mass approach to find the beam's displacement when a force is applied at the tip. The script for MATLAB is given and the correctness of the code is confirmed. The equations used include the force at the tip and the masses spaced evenly along the beam. The solution involves flexibility and stiffness matrices, as well as a mass matrix, and the use of MATLAB's ss function to plot the resulting displacement. The code is ultimately deemed correct.
marcas3

Homework Statement

Hello, I would just like to make sure I am doing the problem correctly. What I have is a cantilever uniform beam that is fixed at one end and free on the other. Basically, it is a wing and I am using a lumped mass approach to find a graphical representation of the wing's displacement when a force is applied at the tip.

Is the script below for MATLAB written correctly? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Homework Equations

The force at the tip: F=1000*sin(111.5*t)

Also, I am using three masses spaced evenly across the beam which correspond to the beam's length as being 3*l

The Attempt at a Solution

A = 0.09;
l = 2;
I = 2.280*10^(-4);
E = 20.5*10^10;
p = 7.83*10^3;
n3 = 3;
t = 0:.001:10;

F = 1000*sin(111.5*t)';
Bf = [0;0;1]; % Since the force is acting on the wing tip, its on the third mass
flex3 = (l^3)/(E*I)*[1/3 5/6 4/3; 5/6 8/3 14/3; 4/3 14/3 9]; % Flexibility matrix
stif3 = inv(flex3); % Stiffness matrix is inverse of flexibility matrix
mass3 = (p*A*l)/n3*eye(3); % Mass matrix

AA = [zeros(3,3) eye(3,3); -inv(mass3)*stif3 -inv(mass3)*eye(3,3)];
BB = [zeros(3,1); inv(mass3)*Bf];
CC = [0 0 1 0 0 0];
DD = [];

sys_ss = ss(AA,BB,CC,DD)
[y, ti] = lsim(sys_ss, F, t');

plot(ti,y)

Physics news on Phys.org
Turns out MATLAB code was correct :)

1. What is the lumped mass approach to wing tip vibration?

The lumped mass approach is a simplified method used to study the structural dynamics of aircraft wings. It involves dividing the wing into smaller sections and representing the mass of each section with a single lumped mass at the center of gravity.

2. How does the lumped mass approach differ from other methods of studying wing tip vibration?

The lumped mass approach is a much simpler and less computationally intensive method compared to other approaches such as the finite element method. It also provides a good approximation for the natural frequencies and mode shapes of the wing.

3. What are the advantages of using the lumped mass approach?

The lumped mass approach is easy to implement and requires less computational resources. It also allows for quick analysis and evaluation of different design options. Additionally, it provides a good understanding of the dynamic behavior of the wing, which can aid in the design process.

4. What are the limitations of the lumped mass approach?

The lumped mass approach is a simplified method and may not accurately capture the complex dynamics of the wing. It also assumes that the wing structure is linear and does not consider the effects of non-linearities such as material damping. Therefore, it may not be suitable for highly complex or non-linear systems.

5. How can the lumped mass approach be validated?

The accuracy of the lumped mass approach can be validated by comparing the results with those obtained from more advanced methods, such as the finite element method. It is also important to conduct physical testing and compare the results with the predicted values to ensure the validity of the approach.