Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lyrebirds, leapord slug mating, rolling salamanders, etc

1. Jul 5, 2011 #1
    I can't believe I never knew these animals existed. I was hoping people on this forum could help me discover more.

Leopard slug mating

Rolling salamanders & caterpillars

Velvet Worm

Archer fish

Lyrebird

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2011 #2
    I just realized I need to watch all of BBC's Weird Nature. But if you know any that haven't been on the show yet...

4. Jul 6, 2011 #3
    One of the best wildlife documentaries I have watched so far, Life, the BBC series. And with Sir Attenborough's narration if possible.

5. Jul 6, 2011 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  6. Jul 7, 2011 #5
    Wow thanks, I haven't heard of the parasitic wasps before. Amazing

7. Jul 7, 2011 #6
    Some of those clips are truly wonderful aren’t they? I vaguely remember the leopard slug, the archer fish and the lyre bird clips from when they were broadcast. The others I don’t think I’ve seen before. The National Geographic clip of the parasitic wasp larvae inside the caterpillar I haven’t seen either, but I have seen the same phenomenon shown on an Attenborough programme, and I remember finding it very disturbing. Oh I know I’m being too squeamish, its all part of life’s rich tapestry and so forth. But it also one of those ultimate nightmares – something that eats you from the inside and leaves nothing but a shell.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook